Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Sky Movies

Hi

I have Youview via a G4 box but i dont yet have infinity (not being upgraded in our area till later this year). I fancy Sky Movies for a bit so my question is this.

In terms of quality of the picture/sound and general useability of the service is it better to have Sky Movies with BT or have it via NowTV on the Youview box. Ovbiously being in a non infinity area will leave me with ondemand only.

Thanks

Ben

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Sky Movies

The playback quality of on demand is great for Sky Movies, we had it for a month around Christmas time and it worked very well.  As long as you can stream other on demand content with your current connection you'll be absolutely fine.  Of course, with the two options you're looking at one is quite a bit less per month than the other and both options are available via your YouView box so it's up to you to wigh up the options.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 3 of 9

I cant say about now TV as I have never used it.

I dont have the Sky Movies bolt on but have the 20 entertanment channels/BT sport and the HD extra bolt on. Plus BT films/TV box sets and the BT music bolts on and going buy them sound is as good as normal TV if not better and the picture is every good.

The HD extra bolt on is very good and well worth the extra £3 a month.

As you dont get Infinity in your area as yet. You will only be able to get some of the BT on demand stuff.

Darren

0 Ratings
Dave1895
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I think you will struggle to get an answer from someone who has used both on BT Youview (I suspect most will be one or other). I've used Now TV and seems fine. As far as I know the content will be exactly the same (although I might be wrong), the only difference on Youview is you can't have live channels on Now TV, so if you can't get that on BT anyway I don't see any difference (though I must admit I don't knowing streaming quality is different). So to my mind for you I t is a choice between paying £16 or £8.99 a month. Why not try the free trail of Now TV and see if you like the quality. Now TV obviously is even better if you have other devices (ipad etc)
0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

On BT they are streamed in SD and costs £16 per month.
On Now TV box (not app) they are streamed in SD and costs £8.99 (lots of cheaper offers)
Now TV Movies On Demand 720 HD , BT On Demand ?
BT management of account by phone
Now TV online management and cancellation.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Movies via Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices and two simultaneously..

Now TV app on YouView only gives SD On a Demand service with no live channels.

I add a Roku or Now TV box to my set up.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I have used both BT and NowTV for Sky Movies and will say, the only extra benefit of paying BT £16 instead of the £9 to NowTV is the ability to record.

With NowTV you can have 4 devices linked and stream on 2 at the same time.

With BT you can only have 1 device linked and thus stream only on that that single device.

Overall if not bothered about recording then get Sky Movies via NowTV (and if you watch it on Youview Box anyway it doesn't count towards your bandwidth usage)

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the reply's. Ill go with NowTv until infinity arrives and then go with bt. I would want the ability to record but as they don't offer that via copper at the moment ill just save the £8 a month
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@benwiddowson wrote:
Thanks for the reply's. Ill go with NowTv until infinity arrives and then go with bt. I would want the ability to record but as they don't offer that via copper at the moment ill just save the £8 a month

Why do you want the ability to record the Sky Movies channels, unless you plan on watching stuff months down the line - everything on the channels is usually available via the on-demand service.

Remember if you cancel the service or have internet issues, change provider you then can't watch any of the ip channels you have recorded.

0 Ratings