Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 193

Re: Sky Sports F1

Yes

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 193

Ummm, looks like the options are narrowing a little if I want to see all the F1 races live next season then.

Despise the thought of getting Sky. Not sure my local pubs would show the races and most have the punters don't have long enough attention spans for a complete race. Oh, and Sunday afternoons are kindergarten time - peeps out for Sunday lunch, out-of-control kids running riot......

Shame on greedy F1 and I am starting to feel lucky that BBC managed to keep any live races, though I am guessing that will change in two years.

Only hope is F1 doesn't work on Sky and comes back, tail between its legs to the Beeb.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 33 of 193

You only have to watch qualifying to know what order the race isn't going to finish in, don't you? 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 34 of 193

@Guyincognito76 wrote:

You only have to watch qualifying to know what order the race isn't going to finish in, don't you? 😉

Depends on whose car the tax avoiding Swiss bloke, Hamilton, writes off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 35 of 193

sky sports F1 keep tweeting they do not know if BT customers will get the channel, and no news here from BT, are bt even trying?? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 36 of 193

I can't see it happening until BT Vision starts a new service utilizing more IP based streaming (ie over FTTC etc). BT wholesale have a new content delivery network & have added multicast -- 2 technologies that make the eceonomics of large scale video over IP much more cost effective.

BT have already said they can't take more DVB (freeview) capacity so I can't see how Sky F1 could be delivered...

I for one am excited by this future ideal product -- I have no facts but can only assume it will happen (any trial slots. surely it must be happening) 

For now the only safe option is Sky satellite (which fortunately I have). BT vision has no interest for me UNTIL there is far more variety of content, and full HD including catchup (and F1 of course)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 193

So what have Sky done .......... gone out and secured more content they know their existing customer base want, along with a lot of other potential customers. That's what Sky, Vision, Virgin (and the like) all do (or should do). Imo there isn't anything wrong with that philosophy but the ability to be able to compete depends on your own delivery network .....  That's why Sky lead, Virgin are second etc etc. Youview does offer a good way forward for others to compete (if they get the price right) just such a pitty they couldn't deliver a few years back ........ instead of whinging to Ofcom ... ''look they are doing better than us ... is that fair?'' they should get off thier backsides and .... .... ...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 193

I suppose all we can hope for is that the audience size drops when the BBC are not showing all the races live, and that in turn leads the race sponsors putting pressure on the teams through reduced sponsorship...thus putting pressure on Bernie Eccleston to look at it again.....but maybe that's being a bit optimistic!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 39 of 193

Sorry to say but niche sports should be on niche channels.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 40 of 193

With an average global television audience of 527 million viewers per race in 2010 (the figures for 2011 don't appear to be available as of yet) I don’t think that F1 can be described as a “niche” sport.  But I take your point, that F1 is not for everyone.

However, by the same argument (and ignoring the governments protection of certain sports which must be free to view) the BBC should sell rights to Wimbledon to Sky Tennis.

Coverage of the Six Nations should be sold to Sky Rugby.

Every four years get ready to watch the Sky Olympic’s channels with Sky Athletics broadcasting in-between.

Oh and don’t forget Sky Horse Racing where you can exclusively watch the Grand National, Royal Ascot and the Epsom Derby.

With the possible exception of Wimbledon these sports have much lower global viewership than F1.

But rest assured, the UK and the world’s most popular sport (again by your logic) is returning from the “niche” sky channels.  Yes, brace yourself for football being broadcast live and free to view on the BBC.

If only channel content were determined by general interest and not money.

0 Ratings