Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 91 of 193

Re: Sky Sports F1

Oh,

And to my fellow forum posters who have called the fact we cannot receive $$ F1 on Vision a joke...

Your not half kidding...

For $ky to not make this channel available (pay for of course, after all, it is $ky) on both the Freeview and Freesat platforms IS a joke.

$Sky$ - Believe in $Money$. For them, that is, not us.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 92 of 193

I have Sky and am a huge Formula 1 fan. However I still think I will stick to the BBC coverage even when it is only highlights. I don't like Sky Sports coverage anymore than I like ITV doing sport.

There is petition to the government to get it to be available free to view one hundred thousand signatures are required to have it discussed Link : http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 93 of 193

I am sorry my replies don't have paras this forum does not like the IPad Return key

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 94 of 193

@stuartrogerson wrote:
I have Sky and am a huge Formula 1 fan. However I still think I will stick to the BBC coverage even when it is only highlights. I don't like Sky Sports coverage anymore than I like ITV doing sport.

There is petition to the government to get it to be available free to view one hundred thousand signatures are required to have it discussed Link : http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

Thanks for the link.

Duly signed.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 95 of 193

This won't help, and F1 won't be put on the protected sports list either.

I don't know why BT haven't challenged it under the OFCOM ruling over Sky Sports though.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 193

Mass spectator sports need revenue to survive and the more popular the sport the more money is needed.

Unfortunately there comes a point where the money going in to a sport is so high that Joe Public realises that the sport is run for the few that benefit directly rather than the masses who had nover their hard earned cash to watch the sport.

I am thinking of the kicking football was getting a couple of seasons ago over Premiership wages and the way the game was going so that fans didn't matter a jot. (Ok, I,m not convinced things are any different now.)

So, here we have F1 - elte sport where some teams select drivers on the basis of how much sponsorship they will bring to the team, not on talent.

Look at the cost to a country/organisation to hold a GP in their county. The sanctioning fee for Austin, Texas is $25m to Bernie Ecclestone. 

Too much power and too much cash going through too few hands. Do the fans really matter to those running the sport? Maybe the fans that pay to turn up at the tracks and watch the races. Maybe even those prepared to subscribe. But those that think the sport should be free to watch live - forget it. With hindsight I am surprised a money orientated sport like F1 has not been lost to Sky sooner.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 97 of 193

With regret BT... I will be leaving your service and joining $ky from March 2012.

I am a massive F1 fan and am not content to simply watch highlights.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 98 of 193

I just got a deal by talking to customer services at Sky. Firstly I took the basic package at £20 and got a friend to recommend me - we both get £75 M&S vouchers plus I got another £50 by using Quidco. I then sweetalked the nice young lady at Sky to upgrade me to the HD package + Sky sports package + all the extra channels (ex Movies) for an extra 25 p.m. (i.e total outlay = £45 p.m).

BT Vision were also very helpful when I explained that I only got the sports package for F1. As long as I continue with the £4 p.m. basic package I was able to cancel the Sky Sports package immediately thus saving the £18.50(?) p.m I was paying.This means it has cost me a net £27 or so per month to change.

I agree with everyone who thinks this should never of happened and I hope Bernie is pleased with his extra un-needed millions (!!) but at the end of the day I have a far superior package with Sky so am happy. Full HD, loads of channels not possible on Freeview etc. The option was to watch half of the races on BBC and highlights later. I hate it if I get to hear the result of anything if I have to watch it later so I would have to lock myself away with no outside communication yo avoid that - no thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 99 of 193

That'll be I expect a six month deal and then the ten pounds will go on to you bill.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 100 of 193

What do you mean by full HD?

Are sky broadcasting 1080p now? 

0 Ratings