cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhillyMcQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 193

Sky Sports F1

Will BT have any plans to show sky's new F1 service on BT Vision?

0 Ratings
192 REPLIES 192
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 193

Re: Sky Sports F1

@PhillyMcQ wrote:

Will BT have any plans to show sky's new F1 service on BT Vision?

What new Sky F1 service?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
PhillyMcQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 193

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 193

Wow! That's sneaky.

Obviously they're trying to screw over BT and Virgin. BT won't show it and Virgin will have to pay for it.

This would appear to challenge the OFCOM ruling.
0 Ratings
Fredo
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 193

This is a good question.

As I understand it the F1 channel will be available to Sky subscribers who get Sky Sports 1&2 or Sky HD.

I was considering adding Sky Sports 1&2 to my BTV if the F1 was going to be shown there.

So, access to the F1 channel will determine my decision.

May be one for the Mods to answer.

Shame on F1 for selling out to the evil empire and another nail in the coffin for free to air sport.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 193

@Guyincognito76 wrote:
Wow! That's sneaky.

Obviously they're trying to screw over BT and Virgin. BT won't show it and Virgin will have to pay for it.

This would appear to challenge the OFCOM ruling.

Indeed.

And this would go back to the heart of our earlier discussion of 'does Ofcom regard F1 as blue-chip Premium Content?'. And the Mods won't be able to answer that one, unfortunately.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 193

The small print on that site says "Sky TV customers with Sky Sports 1 and 2", and further down "Sky TV UK households only", so I would say this is a no to BT having it.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 193

@drhowells wrote:

The small print on that site says "Sky TV customers with Sky Sports 1 and 2", and further down "Sky TV UK households only", so I would say this is a no to BT having it.

Yes, thats what everyone is saying.

@But I would speculate Virgin subscribers WILL receive this new service. As Sky now own the Virgin TV channels. Remember the shut-down of Freeview Channel 21, Virgin TV? Which showed great Sci Fi content like V and Star Trek and a lot of other good content too. All down to the $ky takeover. And they saw their @rse when they were forced to open up Sky Sports to the open market and took Soccer Saturday off Freeview TV.

Anyway, thats my rant over with. What is surprising is they are offering it for no extra cost, as they have stated their F1 coverage will be advert free, during all the races, including practice and qualifying sessions.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 193

@masona2 wrote:
What is surprising is they are offering it for no extra cost, as they have stated their F1 coverage will be advert free, during all the races, including practice and qualifying sessions.

My guess is they're taking a punt that having it on Sky only will attract enough subscribers to cover any potential advertising revenue.  I would imagine there would be a huge sponsorship deal for the coverage too - the opportunity to basically be the only advertiser on the channel will be seen as a price worth paying

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 193

BBC and Sky reveal F1 coverage plans -

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25112011/58/bbc-sky-reveal-f1-coverage-plans.html

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings