Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Sky Sports thoughts?

Go to solution

Good morning guys and gals.

I'm totally blown away by the quality of the hd picture on the BT Sport channels. To say it's 'absolutely amazing' doesn't quite do it justice.

Just wondering if anyone who also has the Sky Sports hd channels as part of their sub has any thoughts on how they compare picture quality and overall performance wise in relation to what BT offer? Still sitting on the fence as to whether to add them to my package or not.

Main reason I'm 'on the fence' is conflicting responses from BT as to whether I'd lose my current discounted tv package price if I was to add the Sky Sports channels. Whilst I ponder my options I'd be greatful to anyone who has thoughts on my quality / performance query.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Sky Sports thoughts?

Go to solution

The sky Sports addon  should be simply  be an addon additional charge on top of whatever your existing TV package is. So if correctly ordered you should only pay that additional charge for the addon.

Be careful when/if you order it as there was a issue that I experienced with the online order process whereby it was incorrectly determining that my broadband contract would be recontracted for a new minimum period.

I'll let others comment on the quality as it is was late year that i last subscribed and then only to the Sd variant.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Cancelled my Sky Sports subscription a little while ago, also had HD(been offered it again since at a much reduced price so "MAY" end up with it again soon!),since then got a youview box with BTTV and free BT Sport with a 6 months free HD subscription, and i have to say i find the HD with BT Sport far superior to what i had with Sky, probably it may be all to do with what broadband package you currently have?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the heads up @zulu17

Re: @GarryJ. Blown away by the quality of BT Sport. I once had Sky and the quality on BT TV blows Sky away. Don't want to waste £27 on Sky Sports HD to find that their picture quality and stability is far from what BT Sport offers up.

I'm on the upgraded Infinity 1 package with regular speeds between 48-52Mbps.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Can't really answer as haven't taken the Sky Sports package (have BT UHD package) but I believe the required bandwidth for Sky Sports HD is above that for the BT HD channels so it should be very good. Hopefully someone with Sky Sports HD can give you a better answer.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Isn't Sky Sports HD broadcast in 720? whereas BT Sport is 1080

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Surely 720p would still be ok as it's still hd. I do know however that the so called hd on a Sky box is pretty poor in comparison to the hd channels BT carry.

I'm guessing by the lack of input to this thread there aren't many who have taken up Sky Sports hd on BT TV?!? 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I have sky Sports 1 & 2 in HD on BTTV and the picture quality is superb. Football and cricket look great and as good if not better than BT Sport HD channels. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

You've twisted my arm @layman72. Decision made. I think, no I know, I'll get this added this evening when I get home. Many thanks guys and a big thank you to @layman72 😀

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
I think that Sky's picture has always been better than BT Sport's. It always takes up more bandwidth (as can be seen when running a speed test and changing between the two), and I think you'll be pleased with Sky's picture quality.

I suspect that BT Sport is now broadcast in Full HD (1920x1080) rather than 1024x1080 that it was previously broadcast in, however I'm not 100% sure. I'm fairly certain that Sky Sports is a better quality on YouView anyway.
0 Ratings