Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Sky replacement card only has BT sport on, not my paid for sky channels

Go to solution

After registering with BT sport online my son was able to watch the channels on his computer immediately.  I on the other hand wanted to watch the sport through my sky HD plus box.  I was unable to view the channels BT sport 1&2 and Espn. A week later I tried again, no luck.  

About two weeks later I got a "Your replacement viewing card" from sky in the post.  I put it to one side.  Then after trying again to view BT sport channels I wondered if this new card from sky had anything to do with BT sport.  I put the card in my sky box and low and behold I could get BT sports channels.  I thought great, thats sorted.  Until I found that all the channels I pay for from sky were unviewable.  Each channel told me upgrade/subscribe to sky.  So I had two viewing cards, one which was brand new with BT sport and another viewing card which had all my paid for channels.  

Sunday was spent going between Sky and BT to find out what was going on.  The advice I was given by sky on different occasions was - throw the new card away it was sent in error (but it contans BT sport).  You will have to use both cards, insert the new card when you want to watch BT sport.  Neither of these answers would have worked to my benefit.  

BT told me to ring their 150 number, but that is for line faults not BT sport problems.  BT told me that sky had purposely scrambled the channels and that I should try other channels.  BT told me that sky were worried that it would take their customers away and were sending out these new cards to make life difficult for BT sports customers.  Basically I dont believe a word, it is a typical problem when two companies are involved.  You get passed between the two because neither company knows what the answer is.  It doesnt help that the BT sports channels are free and we all want something for free.

I looked on this forum and found enough information to decide that BT would be the company to speak to and not sky.  

Finally (maybe) I called BT this morning at 8.00 and after explaining the situation in detail,  and saying that my new sky card needs to be eradicated from any system it is on (then I can throw it away) and then my BT sports channels can be transferred to my old card (nothing wrong with my old  card)  with my paid for sky channels on, I may have got somewhere, but it will take 2 days, so for the moment I dont know if BT can sort this problem out.  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
bonsai
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sky replacement card only has BT sport on, not my paid for sky channels

Go to solution

I would suggest that you need to phone BT armed with your (old) viewing card number and ask for the BT Sport to be activated on that card.

0 Ratings
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I agree but it just isnt that easy, BT staff dont seem to be aware of this particular problem and come up with odd ideas to follow which are just a waste of time, or tell you to ring sky.

I called BT and Sky at least 3 times each on Sunday.  I explained my problem to Sky they told me to destroy the new card, they said it must have been sent to me in error.  I said my free BT sports channels were on that card, they said ring BT.  I call BT they say it must be a problem with sky.  I call sky again, they say I will have to put one card in to watch the BT sports channels, then take it out and put the other card in, are they mad???  I call BT they say change the viewing card number on BT online, I change the number, a message comes up saying you already have BT sports.  Yes, I know I already have BT sports but its on a separate card.  This new sky viewing  card that BT sports channels can be viewed on just arrived in the post, I didnt ask for it, I didnt register this viewing card number on the BT website, it was only at a later date that I decided to use this card and register the number on BT - as a last resort.  So it doesnt make much sense unless BT have some system that puts their channels on any new viewing card issued by Sky if I have registered beforehand.

There is someone else on this forum who had a sky viewing card problem and someone from BT said call us and we will sort it out but it depends who answers the phone at BTs end.  They all come up with different answers. 

0 Ratings
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

A supervisor from Sky has just rung me to sort out my problems.  The last call I had with sky I decided not to mention BT sports and just said please put all my paid for channels on my new card.  We went through the normal, turn the plug off and then back on etc.  They couldnt fix it.

The supervisor said that the viewing card was not registered on my file so they are unable to transfer my paid channels to the new card.  This card has definitely come from sky, the card has sky printed on it and is identical to the one I have in my box.  So somewhere there is a machine sending out new sky viewing cards without anyone being told.  She offered me a credit which was very nice, but if BT dont sort my problem out I will be back to Sky to moan once again. How can it be nothing to do with sky, presumably sky and bt have to work together on this even if they are COMPETITORS.  

She did mention in a hushed tone that this wasnt the first call she has taken as a Supervisor about BT sports.  

0 Ratings
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I was told 1-2 days to fix, 2 days are up, no BT sport on the viewing card I have in my sky hd+ box.  

0 Ratings
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Got back to sky in the hope that they could issue me with a new Sky viewing card so that paid for channels and the BT sports channels could be viewed on one card.  A complete waste of time.  They did say that BT can send out replacement Sky viewing cards.  I dont know if this is true but if BT can send out cards that are identical to Skys then I would be surprised.  

Dont know what to do now.

Called BT again this morning and they put me through to "viewing card problem extension".  I held on for 20 minutes, no one answsered so more time wasting.  

0 Ratings
753JAW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I think I have managed to sort this out now.  

It was all to do with my BT broadband account.  Because I had passed my contract period with BT I was on a rolling monthly contract.  BT will only give you BT sports if you take out another 12 month contract with them.  Once I had agreed to extending my BT contract by another 12 months the BT channels appeared on my current viewing card instead of the brand new one that arrived in the post.  

So you need to make sure you have agreed with BT to extend your contract period for another 12 months.  Then it appears they will sort your technical problems out.  It probably applies to not being able to view BT sports at all.  I just had my BT sports on another viewing card which was useless to me as it didnt have paid for channels.

The number BT gave me to ring was

0800 783 0338, its Saturday and I got through to someone within 10 minutes.  He then confirmed with me that I would take BT for another 12 months, then he sorted out my viewing card problem.  

I was told that it would take 15 minutes to get the channels.  It took 5 minutes.  

RENEW YOUR BT CONTRACT then they will sort your problems out.

0 Ratings