Re: Sky sports rebrand

Go to solution

I am hoping jam that the get all the SPFL 1st Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 282 of 540

Go to solution

I think I would have probably been happy, or at least content, if the channel(s) had stayed at the same price, but a 25% increase is hard to take.  Especially when you see BT's YV competitor now offering all Sky Sports channels for less than a tenner for 18 months.  Will review the situation after The Open and then probably ditch and make use of my brother's spare SkyGo device for big events.

I have been with BT in some shape or form for 20 years, but will review overall position in a few months when current contract expires as I do not share the view that overall BT is still value for money.  Current offers out there suggest I can save up to 40% on current bill which will include full suite of Sky sports and movies.  More than enough saved to still add BT Sports separately.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 283 of 540

Go to solution
I realise there are all kinds of politics and commercial reasons for the situation. However poorly managed by BT with a last minute email and a price hike wins no fans. Not even any good expectations management was applied.

If Talk Talk of all companies can have all channels albeit in SD, then why can't something similar happen with BT. Don't care about excuses, just make it work - get around a table and sort it out.

Anyway cancelled last night - would love to know the % that did the same or will do over the coming days. I hope it was enough for someone senior to notice what a mess this is.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 284 of 540

Go to solution

@Brookstermax wrote:
I realise there are all kinds of politics and commercial reasons for the situation. However poorly managed by BT with a last minute email and a price hike wins no fans. Not even any good expectations management was applied.

If Talk Talk of all companies can have all channels albeit in SD, then why can't something similar happen with BT. Don't care about excuses, just make it work - get around a table and sort it out.

Anyway cancelled last night - would love to know the % that did the same or will do over the coming days. I hope it was enough for someone senior to notice what a mess this is.

Well said, I expect many will be cancelling. I even made a formal complaint as I'd only just recontracted my BB/phone/TV for 2 years & believe I'd been mislead. The response was that they were just passing on a price rise from Sky and that my cancellation fee would be £655! They totally missed the point that this is not just about the price rise; it's a substantial change/reduction in service offered. The fact that it is the Sky channels that have changed is pertinent; I recontracted as Sky Sport on TV was my main reason for having BT TV.

I may well take this up with the Ombudsman Service to see what their view is but BT's inflexible attitude means they will lose a customer of 30+ years when my contract does expire; I won't continue to support a company who doesn't care about their customers.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 285 of 540

Go to solution

LesC wrote:

Well said, I expect many will be cancelling. I even made a formal complaint as I'd only just recontracted my BB/phone/TV for 2 years & believe I'd been mislead. The response was that they were just passing on a price rise from Sky and that my cancellation fee would be £655! They totally missed the point that this is not just about the price rise; it's a substantial change/reduction in service offered. The fact that it is the Sky channels that have changed is pertinent; I recontracted as Sky Sport on TV was my main reason for having BT TV.

I may well take this up with the Ombudsman Service to see what their view is but BT's inflexible attitude means they will lose a customer of 30+ years when my contract does expire; I won't continue to support a company who doesn't care about their customers.

If you received a response saying it's due to a price rise from Sky, that is simply not true. Sky Sports is still offered on a set wholesale price to all providers. Even though the wholesale must offer (WMO) ruling is no longer in effect, Sky have kept within the rules to avoid any new intervention from Ofcom.

The only reason the price has gone up to BT customers is because BT have chosen to increase the price.

Have you read the small print though? Surely they must stipulate somewhere that services / channels etc. are subject to change at short notice?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 286 of 540

Go to solution

Do you have the proof in writing please that sky's wholesale charge to BT has not increased. It is only BT that does not have a wholesale deal with SKY, all other providers are tied to a contracted price for a period of time. Only BT actually have to pay SKY directly per customer and hence BTs price could be altered where others are not. I would be interested where you have seen it proved this price hasn't been changed by Sky

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 287 of 540

Go to solution

I was told (in writing): "Sky increased the amount BT pay them for SKY Sport service over a year ago, since then we have been absorbing that price increase but from the start of the new season we now have to pass this price increase on, please be assured it is with deep regret that we need to do this"

I suspect there is a get clause for BT buried somewhere deep within the T&Cs.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 288 of 540

Go to solution

Just saw the epg for this Saturday on Main Event. What a mess! 

The Open live 8am-10.30am + 3.30pm-8pm so missing a whopping 5 hours of live coverage so they can show 2 football friendlies. At 8pm they have the 2nd half of a GAA match (complete 1st half not on Main Event) and following that its the last 2 hours of what is 4 hours of World Darts!!!!!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 289 of 540

Go to solution

@scointer wrote:

Do you have the proof in writing please that sky's wholesale charge to BT has not increased. It is only BT that does not have a wholesale deal with SKY, all other providers are tied to a contracted price for a period of time. Only BT actually have to pay SKY directly per customer and hence BTs price could be altered where others are not. I would be interested where you have seen it proved this price hasn't been changed by Sky

This is not correct. The WMO arrangement means that Sky are (were) forced to offer the channels at a regulated price to ALL providers to ensure competition can thrive and all providers are able to offer at a competitive price to one another. The only time the wholesale price increases is when Sky themselves raise the subscription fee for their own customers as it must remain a set percentage of that cost.

As noted in the original WMO, the conditions required Sky to offer to wholesale Sky Sports 1 and 2 to other pay TV retailers with certain prices and terms set by Ofcom. In particular the WMO obliged Sky to:

• offer standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) versions of SS1&2 on reasonable request to any person that wished to retail the channels;

• set a specified retail-minus wholesale price for SD versions of SS1&2 in addition to a requirement to supply on a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (‘FRND’) basis;

• offer HD versions of SS1&2 and interactive content on a FRND basis; and

• make available a ‘reference offer’ with details of wholesale supply arrangements,

including minimum security requirements.

The WMO has since expired but Sky have not increased the rates for BT as this would immediately fall foul of the original WMO and invoke further intervention from Ofcom who have made clear that they will reinstate the WMO at short notice.

BT chose to offer the Sky Sports 1 & 2 channels at a reduced rate of their own accord. They have now aligned the prices to other providers in order to turn a profit. This matters not one bit in the bigger picture, however, due to the low amount of BT customers actually taking the Sky Sports add-on.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 290 of 540

Go to solution

It's the same thing on Sunday. With SS1 and SS2 we would have The Open on SS1 and the ICC women's cricket final on SS2. That's nowhere to be seen now. When I see TT TV **Edited** BT offer of one channel for £33.50 falls some way short of economic sense. I'll probably give it a go for a month or so, but if nothing changes will cancel Sky sports after that.

0 Ratings