cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 1 of 8

Sleeping Patterns

Just though I'd get your opinions on how to overcome my sleeping pattern at the moment and your thoughts on how important sleeping is.

Over the last 12 days or so, I've only had around 20 hours. I do want to go to sleep but I just can't. Does anyone else have any problems with sleeping or how to break a sleeping pattern?

Any ideas on how to break it? Not really interested in sleeping pills as I feel it should be natural.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sleeping Patterns

The best think I found was to give up trying to go to sleep and do something unexciting instead.  But avoid bright lights, including brightly lit computer screens.  Reading a book works well for me - the best thing I had for that was a joke book full of jokes that weren't funny.  After a chapter or so of that, I was ready to fall asleep.

Actually, there was one joke in the book that I liked:

Two snowmen are standing side-by-side.  One says to the other "do you smell carrots?"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Problems with sleeping patterns can often be indications of other issues.

Have a chat with your doctor.

Sleeping tablets are excellent in getting over to sleep.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 8

I can empathise ryant704, my sleeping pattern isn’t generally as bad as yours but it usually takes me a very long time to fall asleep and every couple of months I have a few days where I can't sleep very much at all (a few hours at best) and it’s truly unpleasant.

The doctor gave me sleeping tablets once but I never took them, I was too scared of becoming reliant on them.

What do you do before going to bed? Things such as watching TV, looking at a computer screen or tablets are a big no-no. The light coming from the screen tricks your brain into thinking it’s still daylight and it doesn’t go into “sleep mode”.

Reading is a great way of winding down. And drinking a glass of warm milk really does help (for me anyway), it’s not just an old wives’ tale.

A recent study has also shown that eating two kiwis before bed-time helps too. I haven’t tried this but science wouldn’t lie to us 😉

If things have been stressful recently then there may be a link there too?

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@StephanieG wrote:
A recent study has also shown that eating two kiwis before bed-time helps too. I haven’t tried this but science wouldn’t lie to us 😉

We can't get kiwis down here in deepest Kent. Waitrose sometimes do quails though; would they do?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Move away from any distractions, the first thing, disconnect your router so you cannot access the internet!!

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Very good suggestions 🙂

What I have found works for me is to make a Hot Toddy with half a spoonful of honey and a small sprinkling of cinnamon. 🙂
Two of those and I'm out like a light. 🙂 Although I suspect the double measure of Jamesons in each one tends to help a little, too 😛
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 8

Thanks everyone 🙂

Had two good night sleeps, around 8 hours each night for the last two days. Decided to relax a bit more before going to bed, started eating breakfast as well though I have no idea if this helped me or was just a concidence.

Hopefully I can get back to a normal sleeping pattern.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings