Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Sloooooooow broadband

Go to solution

I'm typing this in the hope that someone from BT reads this.

I use Bt Broadband Option 2.

I recently (now regretting this) changed to this option and at the same time paid 12 months up front and went with Bt You View.

Now for the last few days my broadband connection after working fine for about 4 months at around 6 to 7 meg has dropped to 0.10meg.

I ring BT on Thursday 14th, they do some "checks" and "resets" my connection. She tells me to turn off my router and turn it on again and within minutes its fine again. She tells me to leave my system alone, do not turn off the router (I never do) and all will gradually stabilse in a few days.

Yesterday Sat 16th I arrive home and its back down to 0.11meg. I ring BT. They start all the usual mindnumbing questions, master socket, extension leads, number of extensions, do I have filters blah, blah. Am I using wireless, yes I am, ah ha they say its your wireless you need to have an ethernet connection. No says I theres nothing wrong with my wireless and I explain that I have a Netgear ReadyNas attached to my router and I can access that and its as quick as it always was, its simply that loading pages from the internet are slow. No, no, I am told you need to disconnect anything that you have plugged into the router, "it will be slowing it down" and you need to use an ethernet connection. Are your routers not any good on wireless I ask?  Ethernet is better than wireless I am told. Yes it might be says I but why is it now bad and its been fine for months, its because of what you have plugged in I am told............. Can you believe the knowledge of these supposed technical experts? He then tells me that I mustn't keep turning off my router. I don't. You do he says, yes I did on Thursday because I was told to. You must never turn off your router he repeats. I get annoyed. So I tell him not to waste my time and terminate the call.

Frustrated by all this and later finding no improvement I ring again.

We go through the whole thing again. New man wants me to use an ethernet connection. I tell him theres no point it will make no difference but no he insists. I disconnect everything and carry my laptop upstairs. I get an ethernet cable and plug it in. I do a speed test. Its still 0.10meg. Doh!!!!

Ah he says, theres nothing he can do. What did the person do Thursday which made an instant improvement, she reset my connection I repeat. (Here I don't know the technicalities but I understand that when errors occur, not necessarily on your line, if enough occur then the card which has multiple connections slows the lot down......someone tell me is this correct and resetting the cards clears these down and everything speeds up). 

Anyway I'm still at 0.10meg. 

So I'm thinking about paying through the nose to get rid of BT (I work from home so the business pays) and then having a satellite connection. Anything to save me from speaking to these "technical" people at BT. It'll be worth every penny.

Just save me from them..............

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Sloooooooow broadband

Go to solution

you are obviously having a bad time with CS and like many come to the forum for assistance.  it may be you need mod help but can you please post your adsl stats from your router and also thr results of the btspeedtester diagnostic test.

the other obvious question is master or test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes its terrible. Worse still is the fact that I have no faith in those at the far end of the world who are supposedly "very sorry" and are escalating this to "level2" etc etc etc. I was told I would definitely get a call between 12 and 12.30 today. At 1.10pm I gave up and rang them, went through the whole mindnumbing procedure again, now they're going to call back after 6pm. Yeah right, I'll believe that when it happens.

I have in the meantime obtained a price for satellite broadband and another from BT for the cost to terminate my contract which should give some idea what I intend to do. 

Ok its in the master socket and the following were taken with the router plugged straight into the test socket.

First using BT wholesale speed test download 0.11, upload 0.30, ping 135.

Second from my router 

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate8128 Kbps448 Kbps
Line Attenuation20.0 dB12.5 dB
Noise Margin10.8 dB23.0 dB
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution
can you please retry the BT speed test and run the diagnostic part of the test as we need to see your IP Profile
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution
have you also tried the quiet line test ?
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Hello

Diagnostics from BT Speed Test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

Router is a Netgear DGN2200V3, into which is plugged a Netgear ReadyNas and I can access that just as a fast as ever proving the wireless side of the setup is fine.

Tests done with ReadyNas disconnected as well, makes no difference.

Quiet line test was fine no noise or anything.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution
your problem is a low IP Profile you need to maintain a stable connection with NO router restarts for the next 3/5 days and the profile should rise automatically
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Well yes thanks I can see and appreciate that.

The point is why one day, 7meg in the morning and 0.1meg about 5 hours later. And so far waiting 24 hours makes no difference.

With regards to no restarts on the router, again I am fully aware of this, then you talk to BT who tell you to restart your router..................

Thanks, I have little hope that it resolve itself if left.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

connection looks good with max conenction speed for adslmx and noise margin higher than normal 6db giving some in hand if and when upgraded to adsl2.

all the resets drops in connection have resulted in a low conenction speed at one point giving the rock bottom profile but this will come back to 7.15mb if you just stay connected with no resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings