Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dilson
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Slow BT Infinity 2 speeds after install

Hi,

We had BT Infinity 2 installed on Tuesday morning, with a guaranteed speed of just over 50Mbps. On the day of install we received around 37Mbps and after contacting BT about this I was told to wait 3 days for line stabilisation so I did so. Two days after install the speed dropped to around 34Mbps and today (Saturday) it has dropped again to 25Mbps. I am currently running on the test socket as it seems to be slightly faster. This is absolutely awful considering the speeds I was promised and am paying for. I have already had to make a complaint after one of BT's chat advisors rang me up after me leaving negative feedback for him, where he was talking over me, was extremely rude and said that he rang me up because I left the feedback, then hung up on me. Overall very dissapointed and would like to see if anything could be done to get my promised speeds?

I have attached the results from dslchecker, BT wholesale performance test and the Home Hub.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 09.37.23.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 09.37.38.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 09.43.23.png

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Slow BT Infinity 2 speeds after install

Welcome to this forum.

Please display the full connection statistics including noise margins, by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

0 Ratings
dilson
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Just added this now, completely forgot!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

With a maximum data rate of 44383 and a noise margin of 6.2dB, your line is being restricted, possibly by noise on the line, or an error within your internal wiring.

Were those results taken from the test socket?

Is there any noise on your phone when you dial 17070 and select option 2?

Do you have any extensions?

0 Ratings
dilson
Beginner
Message 5 of 24

Those results were from the test socket. I'm not quite sure what noise I am listening for but there was a very slight hiss in the background. We have another socket in the lounge which the phone is connected to which now seems to only work without the filter connected, whereas before it worked fine, but the broadband is connected to the main socket.

Results from the main socket:

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 10.00.43.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

I would suspect that you have a problem with your internal wiring.

This diagram should help, there should be no connections before the master socket. Any extensions must be connected to the removable part of the front plate. With the front plate removed, all extensions should be dead.

The diagram below relates to the MK3 faceplate, but also applies to a standard one.

infinity_wiring2.jpg

If there is problem with your wiring, and you ask for a visit, you will be charged to put things right.

Look for any additional junction boxes that are between the point of entry, and your master socket.

dilson
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

I have checked the wiring. The extension does seem to come from the master socket. Can you see anything that isn't how it should be?

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

It looks fine as far as I can see.

Does your phone line come directly in underground, to that master socket, or does it come from a telephone pole?

Also, just to confirm, did you connect to the test socket as shown below?

infinity_test.jpg

Hopefully, these should be the last checks you need to do. Thanks.

0 Ratings
dilson
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

The phone line comes in from underground and yes that was the socket I used as the test socket.

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

The cable shown in the first picture is not underground cable, there will be another junction box somewhere connecting the underground cable to the blue and white wires. Make sure there is nothing else connected at that point. See Keith's first diagram.