cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Slow BT Infinity

I would be grateful if anyone can offer me some advice on a recent Infinity connection.

I recently moved to BT Infinity from a Virgin line and upon signup I was provided with an estimated line speed of between 16 - 24 Mbps which I was confident of achieving as the cabinet is only 100 yards away and a friend across the road gets 28Mbps on Sky.  

I have been connected now for about 10 days and the speed seems to have settled at 11Mbps which I am disappointed with but not entirely surprised as the engineer who performed the install commented that my line appeared to run away from the cabinet which is as I said located 100 yards away!  Looking at the pole that my line is fed from (20 yards from cabinet) there is also evidence of a road repair leading to the cabinet so I assume there must be a direct connection from the pole to the cabinet that my line doesn't use.

So my quesiton is does has anyone have any experience of dealing with BT to look at re-routing\re-configuring their line from the pole rather than looking to make the existing connection quicker which I fairly sure will be a frustrating and fruitless task.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow BT Infinity

unless there is a problem with your cable then openreach won't re-route and even then they are more like to just replace it

if you are only a 100yds from your cabinet then your estimate should be 80/20mb

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to dlete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Is this what you need?

FTTC Range A (Clean)22.215.12.51.2--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)16.56.82.40.8--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 10--6 to 18Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 10Up to 16 to 18Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3.5 to 7.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line has jumpers in place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

Hi prchew,

Welcome to the BT Care Community Forums.

Looking at your result, the cabinet you think you are connected to isn't the cabinet you are connected to as your estimate shows you to be at least 1.4 km away from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

which exchnage and cabinet are you on?  certainly more than 100yrds away!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

It says I am on Exchange MARPLE is served by Cabinet 1.

The cabinet that is 100 yards away from my house is here (https://goo.gl/maps/55Q21z9T9Yw By the label Op Glossop Road\Lane End inn).  I think it is the cabinet that I am connected to but my cable runs off in the oposite direction before coming back to connect to the cabinet.  Do you know how can I find out the cabinet number to confirm?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

from what I can see cab 1 is in Mayfield Road  SK6 5EE

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

the cabinet has a number on it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Ah that would partly explain it as that is bout 0.5 mile away.  I have checked my friends connection who lives across the road and his also says cabinet 1 but estimates but are much quicked and pasted below:

FTTC Range A (Clean)33.624.77.35.5--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)26.813.36.73.1--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--4.5 to 11.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 14.5 to 11.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

as john46 said check the cab and see what number it is