cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 30

Slow Broadband - AGAIN

Long story short - I had major speed issues at my previous house as BT kept screwing with my throughput. They would turn it up and i would achieve 2mbs most times of day, then 2 days later they'd screw it down to 500kbps. This went on for a while to the point sometimes my broadband was unuseable.

I recently moved house and would regularly achieve circa 1.75mbs which is pretty decent for this area. Over the last few weeks its been getting gradually slower and slower and slower. BT have once again turned down my throughput to 500kbps.

I'm reluctant to contact BT broadband technical as have a coherent conversation is at best difficult and they usually end up screwing it up even worse. Or they become adamant its a fault in my property - when i know in fact nothing has changed and no extension etc etc etc.

Is there any other way round this anyone knows of? I'm just out of contract with BT so am now considering a move, would moving help or would I still be constrained by BT's exchange?

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Guru
Message 2 of 30

Re: Slow Broadband - AGAIN

Frankly Dave ....

Nobody, especially BT, will be "screwing" with your broadband.

If you're having IP profile problems ... or thoughput problems due to high noise margin ....

That's because your connection runs under the dictates of automatic dynamic line management.

And if you're not achieving throughput in line with associated loop loss and target noise margin ....

You could well have issues to resolve in the home.

BT's responsibility ends at the wall socket ... so if you have problems with induced noise within,

you have to find them .  Loads on the forum to read, search is your friend.     😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 30

can you post the adsl stats from your router and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

ok - so maybe 'screwing' is the wrong term. But in my previous property, they'd get the IP profile correct.. Then someone else at technical would pick up on my issues then suddenly the IP profile would get reduced limiting my download speed. Or at least this is what I was told at the time - the IP Profile dictates the max download speed. When BT turned it up my download speed would come back. My IP profile at this property used to be 2000 kbps, it is now at 500 kbps, my download speed has come down in line with this.

I have always kept my home set up simple to obviate faults. My hub is connected directly via  filter at the phone socket. No extensions or similar - again to keep the set up simple

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

BT Speedtester result at 06.00 (ish) this morning

Download speedachieved during the test was - 403 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :640 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

ADSL settings from hub (I know little of what it means so I hope i've posted the right bits) :

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.3 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)59.2 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)1.1 dBm / 1.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)19779 / 1192
CRC Errors (Down/Up)736 / 1009
HEC Errors (Down/Up)1659 / 756
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)454 / 520
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

I realise the speedtester result basically says this is acceptable, the issue being my IP Profile was previously 2000 kbps from conversations with others I have been told the IP profile can only be changed at the exchange ie external intervention
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 30

Well if you get interventions on the line ... like an engineer working on a fault ....

Or you reset the hub more than 3 or 4 times in quick succession .... you'll automatically get a line speed

reduction....  because the dslam sees your line as "flapping" ....

And it takes 72 hours to come back up ... providing it didn't reset itself, or you reset it.

It's all normal, and automatic .... trouble is, sometimes if people don;t know what's happening ....

The first thing they do ... is reset the hub .... and the clock starts over ...

Patience is required, while IPs come up again ....  😉

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 30

@bantam_dave21 wrote:
I realise the speedtester result basically says this is acceptable, the issue being my IP Profile was previously 2000 kbps from conversations with others I have been told the IP profile can only be changed at the exchange ie external intervention

no ... it's automatic .... trust me!  😉

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

@bantam_dave21 wrote:

no ... it's automatic .... trust me!  :smileywink:

Ok thanks - don't you just love getting the wrong info from the wrong ppl. thanks for your correct advice, I'm getting a better picture now

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

Right stats but you missed of uptime and connection speed.

What RogeB has told you is the way to go to get your profile back up.  If you have a test socket behind the master socket connecting there would help.  But patience not easySmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings