Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PedroG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Slow Broadband Speed

Go to solution

I've had around 7mb download speed since I joined BT but for about a month that has dropped to around 2mb.  I ran the speed test twice over a couple of weeks and got the same results.  HAd an online techie who ran through a series of test and made changes but no solution.  He reckoned it was an internal fault (in my house).  I have a BT accelerator plate fitted so no phone line (or any other) interference and I've tested the connection directly plugged into the main socket.  I don't understand how I was able to get 7mbps before and now (with no changes at my end) I only get 2mbps.  Can anyone help?

Stats posted below.

Download speed - 1.97mbps

Max Achievable - 2mbps

Acceptable range - 400kbps - 2mbps

DSL connection rate - 8.13mbps downstream / 448mbps upstream

IP profile - 2mbps

Hub ADSL Stats:

ADSL settings

Downstream - 8.128kbps
Upstream - 448kbps
VPI/VCI - 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation - ITU-T G.992.1
Latency Type - Fast
Noise Margin (down/up) - 12.1db/22.0db
Attenuation - 10.0db / 5.0db
output power (down/up) - 13.8dbm / 12.3dbm

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow Broadband Speed

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instuctions at the end, and post the results here, so members can offer advice.

Make sure that you include all of the ADSL performance statistics. Thank you.

Speed and disconnections

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

if your connection time is 3days+ then your profile is stuck at 2000 instead of 7150 and you need to contact the mods for assistance

contact mods

can take up to 3 days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PedroG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for you response.  I have read all the pages you suggested and I don't see anything that would explain my problem.  As I said, my hub is connected via a BT accelaerator faceplate at the main (in) socket and I have tried plugging the hub directly into this (without an extension cabling) but still get the same slow speed.  I have tried connecting wireless and ethernet but always the same speed.  As I said I have had a constant 7mbps since I joined BT a year ago and my wiring has not changed nor has the location of the hub but for at least a month I've only been getting up to 2mbps.

Here are the results of the further tests I performed today:

ADSL settings

Downstream - 8.128kbps
Upstream - 448kbps
VPI/VCI - 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation - ITU-T G.992.1
Latency Type - Fast
Noise Margin (down/up) - 12.1db/22.0db
Attenuation - 10.0db / 5.0db
output power (down/up) - 13.8dbm / 12.3dbm

Loss of framing (local) - 0
Loss of signal (local) - 0
Loss of power (local) - 0
FCC errors (down/up) - 0
CRC errors (down/up) - 56 / NA
HCC errors (down/up) - NA / 17
Error seconds (local) - 36

Max ADSL Speed Test Calculator results:
Downstream Attenuation - 10 db       Approx line length - 0.7km
DSLmax - 8128kbps                         IP profile - 7150kbps
adsl2+(21CN) - 24000kbps               IP profile - 21000
adsl2+(LLU) - 24000kbps                 Throughput - 21240

0 Ratings
PedroG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your input.  If you see my reply to Kieth Beddoe's response you'll see the results from tests he asked me to try.  When you say 'connection time 3 days +'  what do you mean?  My hub is on all the time but my laptop is not on / connected all the time.  The stats show my connection time as 1 day 9:18:16, not sure exactly what that means.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
your hub must stay connected for 3days + with no restarts for your ip profile to reset automatically if it has not reset by then it will need manual intervention by the forum moderators to release it

Your hub has reset its self recently that is the reason for the 1 day plus time scale
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Your IP profile is stuck in a 2000Kb banded profile.

This can happen if there has been a fault, or your hub has been restarted or disconnected too many times.

As John said, leave it connected for 3 days, then run a BT Speedtest again. If the IP profile is still showing 2000, then contact the BT Care Team as below. But you must leave it for that amount of time first.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days.

PedroG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for all responses.  I'll do as suggested and leave it for another 3 days then run tests again.  I assume I don't have to have my laptop on and connected to the internet as well?

I'll keep you posted.

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@PedroG wrote:

Thanks for all responses.  I'll do as suggested and leave it for another 3 days then run tests again.  I assume I don't have to have my laptop on and connected to the internet as well?

I'll keep you posted.

Smiley Happy

No you don`t, just leave the hub on and plugged into the phone line.

0 Ratings
PedroG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Monday 20 Feb.  Connection up for 3 days and speed is back to 7mbps (approx) as it used to be.  Thanks for all contributions.

Pete

0 Ratings