cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 42

Slow Broadband Speed.

We've had some serious issues with internet speed where I live, unable to do things like gaming or downloading music, on average getting speeds of about 50 kB/s. 

The line was fine until I had to move rooms (was previously getting speeds of 500 kB/s +), have been connected in the new room since the 24th November, and not had good internet since then.

Have called customer service twice now, first time they said they would do something with the line, and to call back 48 hours later if the issue was not resolved. As you can guess... the issue was not resolved so I called back again, this time they said they would try something else (something to do with resetting the line). This second phone call was made on the Monday, and they promised me that they would ring me on Wednesday to see if the issue has been resolved; I never received this phone call and find it terrible customer service that BT isn't following up with one of their customers when they are clearly having issues that are not being resolved.

I think the issue has something to do with the line coming from our nearest telephone mast/pole, the line goes around our building and is actually used to connect about 5 different rooms. One of the rooms that has it's own individual line from the telephone mast is getting acceptable speeds.

Ideally I would like for an engineer to come out and have a look at the problem, and the only reason I'm even writing on here is because it is clear that calling the indian call centre help desk clearly gets me no where.

Can a mod/admin tell me what procedure I need to follow to actually get some results? So far have not got a good impression of BT and will be leaving them at the first opportunity unless this problem gets resolved.

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 42

Re: Slow Broadband Speed.

Forgot to add, that speeds first thing in the morning are acceptable (500kB/s +), most likely a time when absolutely no one else is using the line from the telephone mast. I shouldn'y expect my signal to degrade so badly simply because someone else in another room, not paying towards my internet, has started to use theirs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 42

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

do you share the line with others?  when you say change rooms are you still using same broadband?  if so which room has the master socket - 1st socket after BT wires enter home?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 42

does each room haveits own phone number
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 42

Directly connected to test socket at the moment, as instructed when I phoned customer service.
Master is only socket in home.
Do not have a corded/cordless phone as the line is only used for broadband.
We have moved from one building to another, so using a different line from the exchange.
Speedtest results
Download speedachieved during the test was - 211 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6336 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.4 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):43.3 dB / 26.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 937
CRC Events (Down/Up):9369457 / 306
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):4404710 / 125
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):307050 / 1534
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 42

I'm in a 4 man room, each room pays for it's own individual broadband line, so yes each room has it's own phone number.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 42

if you have then each room has separate line to them and that is not your problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 42

post duplicated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 42

The line could be the problem, because that one line coming from the pole goes around the building, and that line is then broken off to each room it needs to get to along the way. Would much rather have an engineer come out and install a fresh line to my room if that turns out to be the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 42

can you please post 3 bt speed tests over the next 24 hours to see if you have an exchange problem or possible congestion at the exchange
0 Ratings