Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
optimist5
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Slow Broadband Speeds....again

Hello

I originally posted regarding slow broadband speeds on 29 December 2012 (<1Mbps).  BT checked my line and made adjustments to the profile etc and I was getting over 7.15Mbps.

Since at least 1 month ago, the speed has dropped.  I am now only getting just over 4Mbps.

I have raised another call with BT as well.

Can the moderator please help me again?

These are my stats below.  I am connected via ethernet cable to the router and the router is connected to the test socket.  There is only 1 socket in the flat.  I have done a "silent test" on the line and could not hear any noise.  I also 'recycled' the router tonight.

Thanks

BT Speed Test

Best Effort Test:  -provides background information. Download  Speed 3.82 Mbps 0 Mbps 4 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.82 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is - 3.92 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information. Upload Speed 0.36 Mbps 0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

ADSL Line Status

Connection information

Line state:  Connected   Connection time:  0 day, 01:08:45   Downstream:  4,443 Kbps   Upstream:  445 Kbps  

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI:  0/38   Type:  PPPoA   Modulation:  G.992.5 Annex A   Latency type:  Fast   Noise margin (Down/Up):  14.9 dB / 29.1 dB   Line attenuation (Down/Up):  43.0 dB / 25.1 dB   Output power (Down/Up):  0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm   FEC Events (Down/Up):  0 / 0   CRC Events (Down/Up):  11 / 3 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow Broadband Speeds....again

you need to go back to router stats and post the rest of the errors  may have to show detail

your connection time is very short is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?  your noise margin is higher than normal suggesting line noise and this is reason for lower connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

it is now important to ensure that you now do not reset the hub manually but as been posted it is the increased noise margin that is causing your low connection speed
0 Ratings
optimist5
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hello

thanks for the replies, but I recycled my router AFTER I noticed the slow speed.  It did not cause the slow speed.  I recycled the router because it was one of the steps advised to do under "self-help".

Just got a ring from BT saying they have made "improvements" to my line and it should be faster.  Well, it was slower, at

Download:  3.81Mbps

Upload:     0.36Mbps

Ping latency:  39ms 

She said that I should be getting between 3.nn and 4.nn (can't remember exactly).  I told her that was wrong and that the last time BT reset my profile in December 2012 and changed the "latency type" from interleaved to fast, that I was getting 7.15Mbps.

She then said, "oh, it looks like it was capped" by BT Wholesale.  She then said she would re-set it and send me a text message.  I am to wait 48 hours, leave the hub on (I don't switch it off anyway) and then re-test.  If not any better, respond to the text message and then they will ring me back.

I feel that if I hadn't been so persistent, I would have just been fobbed off.  I have to say I am disappointed with BT customer service as they appear reluctant to help, unless pushed.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

can you please repost your router stats but this time include the rest of the errors

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
optimist5
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hello

I just tested broadband speed again after waiting since my profile was adjusted.  There is no improvement despite BT saying they were resetting the profile.

Download speed Mbps: 3.82

Upload speed Mbps:  0.38

Ping latency (ms):  46.88

Below are the latest stats for the Connection:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information

Line state:  Connected  

Connection time:  2 days, 13:09:34  

Downstream:  4,443 Kbps  

Upstream:  445 Kbps  

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI:  0/38  

Type:  PPPoA  

Modulation:  G.992.5 Annex A  

Latency type:  Fast  

Noise margin (Down/Up):  18.3 dB / 28.2 dB  

Line attenuation (Down/Up):  43.0 dB / 25.1 dB  

Output power (Down/Up):  0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm  

FEC Events (Down/Up):  0 / 0  

CRC Events (Down/Up):  1133 / 26  

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0  

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):  0 / 0  

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0  

Loss of Link (Remote):  0  

HEC Errors (Down/Up):  1071 / 20  

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  0 / 15 

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

your ip profile changes automatically when your conenction speed changes not like the previous adslmax where it could take 3+ days to catch up.  your problem is your high noise margin.  the mods like to see 3+ days connection time so can you repost your stats tomorrow and if conenction still stable then you could contact mods to get noise margin reset to 6db

0 Ratings