Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Slow Broadband after lightning strike

Hello Everyone,

Our BT Master Socket was fried during the recent thunder and lightning storms and after a new socket was fitted our Home Hub 4 is now showing a download speed of around 0.25 Meg - this has remained static for over four days so I have now reset the router and plugged into the test socket but with no improvement, do I still need to wait another 3 days before I can run any further tests ???? Prior to this our older master socket was giving a 12 Meg download, help!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow Broadband after lightning strike

can you post the adsl stats from your router please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back sooner but have been away from home but thanks for pointing me in the right direction, hope this information helps,

I have run a quiet line test from the test socket using an old BT 'Vanguard' corded phone and I couldn't detect any backnoise at all

Latest DSL stats from my Home Hub 4

14:29:27, 11 Jul.(52631.620000) DSL is up
14:29:26, 11 Jul.(52630.600000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 21.80 dB downstream
14:29:25, 11 Jul.(52629.680000) DSL line rate: 1129 Kbps upstream, 287 Kbps downstream

I found this STAT from the WAN log, prior to the thunder and lightning!

12:37:00, 28 Jun.(82641.460000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream

Finally from the BTW performance test

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.25 Mbps

0 Mbps0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.9 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.9Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Due to the previous disconnections you have ended up in a banded profile.  You now need to maintain connection 24/7 for 3/5 days and banding should release automatically

however if you get 3+ days connection time the repost your 2 lines of stats and mods will help get you out of the banding

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi everyone, my broadband has improved considerably with a stable connection for over 5 days now and below are the latest stats from the BTW performance test - my question is the download speed was around 12.5 Meg max. before the elements struck so I am still not quite where I should be in terms of speed, will my IP profile update again soon or does something else have to be done, many thanks

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 8.29 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.29 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.12 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.95 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.95Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Your profile is based on your connection speed so to get higher profile you need faster connection speed. Can you post the 2 lines of stats from the router logs - is noise margin still higher than normal 6db

firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Hi, sorry should have checked that, this is most recent data I found in the log

05:48:09, 16 Jul.( 106.190000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 15.00 dB downstream
05:48:08, 16 Jul.( 104.960000) DSL line rate: 1160 Kbps upstream, 9204 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Your noise margin is still high so just stay connected and noise margin will continue to reduce in stages down to 6db with corresponding speed increases

firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Good news, that's most reassuring, just for future reference if this happens again - is resetting your router several times for a couple of days one of the WORST things to do if your broadband speed is slow when you are reconnected!!!

0 Ratings