Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
popec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Slow Broadband

Go to solution

Hello

Have had really slow broadband for nearly 2 weeks.  have gone through the wizard and tried to change the channel on the hub but the recommended ones didn't help and then I lost connection completely and had to reset hub to original settings.  have tried to find a help line to call on the website but all I can see is self help stuff. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow Broadband

Go to solution

can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
popec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for reply. Test results below. We don't have phone extension sockets in use in the house.  Quiet line test was quiet.  other relevant info is that I usually use wireless connection (connected via ethernet to do test though) Speed no better through cable - still can't watch any video or stuff on BBCi player or similar.

Download  Speed
178 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 178 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4704 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

adsl stats.

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.7 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)47.0 dB / 25.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)342 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1
  Hide Details  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

your profile is rock bottom at 135. your noise margin is high at 14.7 as normal about 6.

when you say no extensions in use does that mean there are extension sockets in your home but not using them at the moment?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
popec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

yes, there is a phone socket upstairs but nothing plugged into it. Our speed has been fine up to about 10 days ago and I can't think of anything I've changed or moved- were watching video streaming with no problems (had switched to BT from AOL and were amazed how much better everything worked).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

your stats don't show connection time so have you been having connection problems with the hub disconnecting or have you been resetting the hub in the hope that your connection would improve?

0 Ratings
popec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I've been re setting the hub (sometimes unintentionally as I moved it a few times to see if that would improve things and pressed the button by mistake).  I had to re set it yesterday as well after trying to change the channels.  We've never had any disconnecting problems, its been really good.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

good then just stay connected 24/7 with no resets for 3/5 days and your profile will come back to match your speed and your download will be back to normal

the worst thing you can do to your connection is reset it especially a few times in a short space of time

0 Ratings
popec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for your help, much appreciated, I'm pretty clueless once I'm beyond switching the thing on. Any reason why the speed dropped for so long to start with or is it just one of those things?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

when you reset a few times quickly the exchange sees that as a line problem and reacts by increasing your noise margin and reducing your speed to try and get a stable line.  if you reset again soon after that then noise margin goes higher and speed drops again.  as speed drops so does your profile

profile is dependant on speed as seen here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm