cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noggin
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Slow Broadband

I have been experiencing a very slow broadband speed for the last few months. It has gradually got worse over the last few weeks.

I have followed every step suggested in the BT Speed Wizard walkthrough, including installing an I-Plate last week, but with no success. I have also sent a mail to the Technical Help Desk but have received no reply, except for an automated response.

Short of banging my head against the computer, I'm not sure what else I can do.

My latest speedtest result shows:

Download speed achieved during test was - 112kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250Kbps.

Your DSL Connection Rate: 7616Kbps (DOWN-STREAM), 448(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 135Kbps

I have also experienced quite a few random disconnects.

I have been a customer with you for many years now and I get the feeling you are not quite supplying me with the service I am paying for.

Your prompt response would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Noggin

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
rustins
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow Broadband

Hi Noggin,

I am quite new to these forums but I have noticed that people can have a good line speed as you have but if their profile is a very low speed i.e. 135Kbps as in your case then this will throttle your throughput down to whatever the profile dictates. The good news is that you can contact the forum moderators  (forum.moderation.team@bt.com) they can get your profile reset back up to high speed and that will release your awesome potential once again.

0 Ratings
Noggin
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Rustins..I have already linked this post to the mod team so hopefully they can crank me to the max!

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

before you get carried away with a fix being applied, is there any reason why your ip profile has dropped so far?
if your reseting the hub or forcing it to power cycle or having problems with constant drop outs or seriously low sync speeds

then unless the problem causing it has gone away (or youstop doign it if its down to you) then the problem would likley reapear in short order.

for referance forcing a connection reset more than 3 times in 30 mins will start to cause profile drops even if the sync speed stays high.
0 Ratings
Noggin
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

As mentioned in another thread, I have experienced quite a few disconnects for no apparent reason. The hub's broadband light goes off then starts flashing orange and after a minute (sometimes longer), I am reconnected. Could this be what is affecting the IP Profile?

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

if the hub wsa doing a full restart then yes if its just the blue>orange>blue sequence it shouldnt unless the sync speed is jumping about wildly, which would indicate a problem with noise on the line.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

then agian depending on your area you could of been hit by one of the many random exchange faults (it would seem thees a problem with various 20cn services andhaving checked a fw tiems over hte last few weeks its almost as if there failing in sequence O.o
0 Ratings
Noggin
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Nano for your input. The mod team are looking into it. The disconnects are complete disconnects..the broadband light goes out for several minutes then flashes orange..sometimes it will re-establish connection but the majority of times it will go out. Particularly annoying as I play Warcraft and a server disconnect can be very painful at the wrong time. The fact that I can't watch the BBC Iplayer or any YouTube videos due to the constant buffering just adds to the pain.

0 Ratings