Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dn093
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Slow Download Speeds

Hello.

I've been with BT for quite some time now and I've had a pretty decent time, I've had a few issues with homehubs... but they're easily replaced. However, my download speeds have been awful recently. I can't watch 1080p videos on youtube and even 720p sometimes struggles... Downloading games on steam also take way longer than before.

My download speeds for at least the past year have been (from what I remember) around 11Mbps down / 0.99Mbps up but over the past week or so, they have been cut in half. I'm still paying the same price but I'm only getting around 4.8 Mbps down / 0.92 Mbps up.

I've took some tests as I've seen others do in their posts, here are the results: 

ADSL line status
Connection information

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 6:07:09
Downstream 6,651 Kbps
Upstream 1,160 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 8.6 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 32.5 dB / 16.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 12
Loss of Signal (Local) 13
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 109870954 / 8
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 16082 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 14
Error Seconds (Local) 6

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.61 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.92Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I've dialed 1470 17070 and selected option 2, but I hear absolutely nothing. No crackling, no hissing sounds.

Nothing has been changed with the hardware and it's all working just fine as before... but my download speeds are disgusting. 

I read an article recently that you're making your unlimited package truly unlimited now, but does this come with a download speed reduction to counter the true unlimited download cap?

*I forgot to mention I think I'm on the standard BT Unlimited package, as I cannot get BT Infinity in my area.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow Download Speeds

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
dn093
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I've posted the results above, I forgot to mention I have an older master socket. It was already set up like the diagram shows here:  http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/filter_position.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

your speed has reduced due to an increased noise margin this has happened due to disconnections of your hub your hub connection time is low at 6 hours has your hub been restarting ??
0 Ratings
dn093
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

It has gone off twice this week while I've had it on.

Normally I turn it off every night when I go to my bed. I've had it on since around 1pm. I haven't noticed it go off today, maybe it has but I'm not 100% sure.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

your hub should be left on 24/7 all the restarts cause the exchange equipment to see the line as unstable and will increase your noise margin to reduce your speed in an attempt to stabilise the connection
0 Ratings
dn093
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Ok. I'll keep it on, but I've turned my hub off every night for the past year or so and my speed hasn't been reduced once. Until this recent week.

I normally turn all electronics off, just incase they cause a fire. 

Do you have any idea how long it will take for my speed to return back to the regular speed? 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

up to 10 days
0 Ratings
dn093
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

10 days later, router has been on for pretty much the entire 10 days, however the broadband light went orange by itself then came back on. This happened a few days ago, it also happened about 5 minutes ago.

I find it quite hard to keep it on for 10 days straight, as it randomly disconnects, I have no idea how but sometimes when someone goes upstairs and opens a room door, it has a chance to disconnect my hub. Nothing gets turned on, no sky box, no xbox... it just disconnects because a door opens. 

Download speed is still half of what it used to be.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

In that case I suggest you contact the forum mods at this link https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they normally reply personally to by email or phone within 3working days
0 Ratings