Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauls01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Slow Downloads

Go to solution

My broadband works fine but it seems to download slow.  I only get at max 80kB/s.  I have this test result, can you advise.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 596 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5568 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

and I have this info

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:48:23
Downstream5,568 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)4.6 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)33.2 dB / 20.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)8.9 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)3297 / 3
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2907 / 5
HEC Errors (Down/Up)4973 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1037 / 6

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Slow Downloads

Go to solution

the problem is your profile is low at 750 instead of 4500.  this is normally due to te router being reset a few times in a short space of time.  this could be by yourself or by the hub itself.

normal reason for resets is noise on your line.

if you more information please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1)

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pauls01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
No other phone sockets, and Ive tried the test socket, and I have no noise
0 Ratings
Jukkie
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

When you say downloads, do you mean P2P (e.g. BitTorrent)?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pauls01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Yes, Ive done the port fowarding, and the seed ratio is good etc

0 Ratings
Jukkie
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

You've just found out the hard way (like me), that BT's P2P throttling (or 'Network management' as they like to call it) is ridiculous.

Wait till gone midnight and you'll see the speeds increase.

I just came from an ISP that claimed they also throttled P2P, but it was still 5x faster than BT even when they were.

I regret coming to BT, and I've only had it a week...

0 Ratings
pauls01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
It still doesn't go far past 100kB then, even downloading one movie. I should be getting 7meg according to test. My mate next door has sky and downloads a very quick.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

although p2p download speed is 'managed' that is not your main problem.  your main problem is your profile is to low for your connection speed and regardless what you download the speed will be slow.  This will not improve until your profile rises which requires a stable connection 24/7 for 3/5 days.

so again - until your profile rises you download speed will be low as the profile controls your throughput/download speed and can be check by running btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pauls01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Today was the 1st reset, its been like it since i started downloading.  If its the same in 5 days, whats the remedy?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

if you router says 5 days connected and when you run btspeedtester it is still 750 then your profile may be stuck and need mod assistance but I expect the automatic process to work

0 Ratings