Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Slow Evening Speeds - Infinity 1

Go to solution

Since the beginning of October we have consistently experienced sustained slow download speeds anywhere between 5pm and midnight - speed falls to as low as 5Mbps - 'best' normal speed at other times is around 32Mbps. This problem was acknowledged by phone support on Monday 28th November and I was told that I would get a call back within 24-48hrs.

There was no call back and the problem persisted. 2nd call to support on Friday 2nd December revealed that this was now with BT offline(?) and a review date had been set for Friday 9th December when I would also receive a call with an update.

And guess what - no call, no update, still have the problem - so 3rd call to support on 9th December @ 23:00. Again we run through the usual patter about connections to router etc but finally Jim was minded to look at the notes and I now learn that the fault is with the Level 2 team and it will be fixed by Monday. He wasn't able to tell me the actual nature of the fault but kept reassuring me that it will be fixed by Monday. After expressing some cynicism at this claim, I have been sent a text message to reply to in the event that the fault isn't fixed and I will then receive a call back.

I'm not hopeful. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I might proceed to ensure that I am making progress and not just banging my head against a brick wall? 3 calls, 3 promises of action, 2 promises of call backs that never materialised don't fill me with confidence.

We have a SamKnows white box so are able to provide as much data as the BT engineers need. It's worth noting that support are not in any way familiar with this equipment and it was only because I rang initially at a time when the speed was rock bottom that they could acknowledge from their end that we had a problem.

I appreciate that the mods probably can't take this up until after Monday as it's still being dealt with by phone support, but if the problem fails to be resolved at least I will have raised awareness elsewhere!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Slow Evening Speeds - Infinity 1

Go to solution

If you think (as it appears) you are suffering from peak time congestion be aware that this is a BT Wholesale problem that they should be aware of via their monitoring systems.

That being said you can help it being raised if you do the following in order.

When your speeds are normal i.e. outside peak hours run a speed test HERE Once the first test completes scroll down and click on Further Diagnostics.

Post a screenshot of the second test result.

Then do the same at peak time. DO NOT do it the other way around.

The second peak time result will be recorded on BTW's server.

When posting the results state which exchange you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @geilo

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the slow speeds you're experiencing in the evenings.  As @pippincp has pointed out, this does sound like congestion and your best bet would be to follow his advice above.

I appreciate that there has been promises of action being taken and call backs that haven't materialised.  If this isn't sorted by Monday which has now been agreed then post back on the forum and we will pick this up from here.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @RobbieMac

Many thanks to you and @pippincp for your advice - having someone take notice, put forward possible solutions and offer a way forward in the event that the problem was not resolved by today helped enormously. 

I'm now admitting that my cynicism around phone support was somewhat misplaced - having followed the BTW procedure for conducting a speed test on Saturday morning and taken a screen shot of the Best Effort and Upstream Tests I prepared to repeat the test during the evening but the speed never dropped below 24Mbps! Problem apparently resolved.

So, one satisfied customer, especially when it comes to the support given on this forum.

Many thanks again.

geilo

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Good to hear.

0 Ratings