Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Slow Infinity 2 speed - BT Support not helping

Go to solution

Been with BT over 6 months having signed up for Infinity 2.  Estimated speed was 50-67 Mb/sec.  I previously posted about only reciving a maximum of 45Mb/sec in this post: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Migrated-from-Plusnet-Advice-appreciated-on...

I tried calling and reporting the slow speed originally only to be basically fobbed off.  After going through the usual checks which I've done myself several times I was told they were going to run some diagnostics on the line which would cleanup the line. 🙂  Needless to say there was no change to the broadband performance.  

Latest advice in that thread was to call Options team which I did and was told they couldn't do anything until I spoke with Tech Support to either get an engineer or have them agree there was nothing could be done.  Well, after waiting 30+ minutes on hold I gave up!

So, a few months have passed and I called BT Support again.  Once again led a merry dance with them checking the line (no problems) and to be told 35Mb/sec is a mimum requirement and if I check terms and conditions etc.  I pointed out the expected speed for me (confirmed in my signup email) was 50-67Mb/sec.  Then I was told peak hours times would be lower which I then countered with the speed is always the same - 45Mb/sec!

After insisting I wasn't accepting these speeds I was told it would be escalated to Level 2 and they would contac me next day (Sunday 9th October).  I asked them to make a note on my account of the issues etc. and was told it would be.

Needless to say, no-one has called me and I expect there will be notes added to my account...

How can I move this forward?!  Appreciate it's unlikely my speed will improve.  I am happy to downgarde to Infinity 1 with a reduction in cost but how the heck can I get this sorted?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow Infinity 2 speed - BT Support not helping

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @momakin,

From reading your post it does sound as if you are getting above the minimum guaranteed speeds and close to the estimated speeds. On your original order it would have stated something similar to the below:

We estimate your download speed will be between 50Mb and 67Mb, and your upload speed will be between X and X.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 35Mb.

We can speak with you about your set up, check what your profile speeds are with our suppliers and see if we can do anything to help but I can't guarantee that we will be able to improve your speeds.

To get in touch, click on my user name and then on contact the mods. We'll get back in touch with you over the next few days.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

OK, it's been over a month since I was downgraded to Infinity 1 as the engineer was not able to improve things for me.  I am aware this change can take some time to stabilise but the download speed seems to be settling aroudn the 20Mb setting now!

During the first 2-3 weeks it seemed to fluctuate - sometimes hitting around the 45Mb and other times lower.

I seem to be stuck on 20Mb at all times of day now.  My DSL Line Status shows 47.3Mb download / 9.7Mb upload.

Any suggestions as I seem to have fallen into this reduced download despite my line obviously beign cable of hitting close to the maximum of Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

As you are connecting at 47M, is the measured download speed using a wired or wireless connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

That's wired / wireless - no difference.  As mentined, prev on Infinity 2 I was receiving these speeds as standard.  Since downgrading and a period of fluctuations it settled around 20 Mb download.  I read that some others experienced this also whereby after downgrading the speed seemed to be reduced/capped despite the fact it shouldn't happen.  I guess I probably need to raise this as another separate issue? Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings