Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adz1978
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Slow Infinity escalated to BT Wholesale

Hi there,

I am in Inverness, Highlands, and mid-November I reported slow speeds with my Infinity - 7-10mbps during peak times compared to steady 76 at all times since first connection in July.  In non-peak times the max I now get is 50-60 - was advised fault was at the exchange and fix would be within 48 hours.

So 3 days after reporting this I was advised the fault was fixed - it wasnt - I called back and it was reopened with a 5 day fix time for same problem. 

After 5 days was again told the fault was fixed, it wasnt - called back to reopen once again and was told an engineer would now need to come to my property, appointment made for 3 days time (Wednesday 29th Nov, this week)

I then received a call on Monday this week from BT Wholesale advising Openreach have now been brought in as this is a more serious issue and they no longer needed to visit my property as the fault is not with my line/equipment.  No advise as to what the fault is, only that it was with Wholesale/Openreach and now they would be dealing with my case as it is a BT Wholesale issue..

During the call on Monday 27th Nov I advised a Friday 1st Dec (today) fix date and they would call back on that day - I duly got that call this morning as advised and have now been told the issue is still ongoing, it is affecting many customers including business and has anticipated fix for 19th January!

Was told it could be the cabinet or the exchange or "something"....no business are present near the cabinet, it is in a residential area?

So in summary. 

• I have been twice advised that the fault at the exchange is fixed, when it wasnt. 
  • Was told I needed an engineer visit as it was now my property/line/equipment that needed to be checked. 
  • This appointment was then cancelled when Wholesale/Openreach took on the case.
  • Now telling me its affecting multiple customers including businesses and could be the cabinet (in residential area with no businesses), the exchange or "something".
  • With a fix not now expected until 2 full calendar months after I first reported it.

I am a new BT customer, is this the norm?

How much time should I give this before speaking to someone about my contractual terms?

2 full calendar months, 3 monthly payments for a service BT can not currently supply?

thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow Infinity escalated to BT Wholesale

It sounds very much like a congestion problem in the backhaul network that will require new equipment to be installed to provide extra capacity, this is not a 5 minute job unfortunately.

0 Ratings
Adz1978
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thats what I suspected and indeed a friend who works for BT also "diagnosed", however clearly BT are not going to tell me that they have overused the network.

However if it is the problem then I (and others affected) are being impacted due to mismanagement of the network - over selling/using in basic terms.  So I fully expect compensation for this upon resolution.

Based on this being the issue, would this issue be present even if I look to change supplier given the network infrastructure is all Openreach?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Its not a question of over selling, more a case of faulty crystal ball in predicting the volume of take up of service. The backhaul network belongs to BTWholesale not Openreach. There are other suppliers of backhaul networks that are utilised by other ISPs but I don't know which use who's backhaul.

0 Ratings
Adz1978
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for the info.

I'll await with interest developments into next year.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

Its not a question of over selling, more a case of faulty crystal ball in predicting the volume of take up of service. The backhaul network belongs to BTWholesale not Openreach. There are other suppliers of backhaul networks that are utilised by other ISPs but I don't know which use who's backhaul.

Actually Openreach do own the backbone (AKA Colossus), BTWholesale control the access to it.  It's the access equipment that needs the upgrades to increase capacity.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Might have been the case for 20cn but not for 21cn.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 12

I think you missed the difference between backhaul and backbone. BTWholesale's backhaul is a leased connection from Openreach's Fibre Backbone. Other ISP's can also lease a connection in the same way. The infrastructure (fibre network) remains the property of Openreach. All are supplied via Openreach (and Colossus) under their Ethernet Backhaul Direct (EBD) service.

Capacity issues are resolved by BTWholesale either by load balancing across existing SVLANs or by increasing the number of  them in the exchange.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

BT wholesale converged 21CN network

PaddyB
Message 10 of 12

Hi @Adz1978,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the speed of your connection during peak time. If you send me in your details, I'll be able to check a few thing for you on the network. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings