Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wjamie134
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Slow Infinity speeds - Profile problems

Hello All,

I have had the Infinity package since 6/7/2011 with speeds estimated at 34 mb/s. So far the maximum I have received is 10mb/s, and only on one PC for a short time, the average being about 4-5 mb/s.

On Saturday the 23/7/2011 I ran speed tests using http://speedtester.bt.com/, after disconnecting all but one device from the hub and was recieving about 10mbs, which was confirmed by BT over the phone. I was told that there was a problem with my profile and i was recieving the minimum speed and the profile was reset.

So far my service has not improved, ping and speed both fluctuating wildly with the maximum i have observed to be 7mb/s average about 4.

speedtest1.jpg

My phone has been getting a ping of 140 and speed around 200kps, before the reset ping was around 40 and speed 1-2 mps.

I know it has not yet been 10 days, but i have been paying for infinity for most of a month but recieving a service that is often inferior to the regular bt broadband and the profile reset does not seem to be working and several posts that i have seen say that it should only take 3-4 days for major improvement.

Should i wait until it has been 10 days or complain again?

Thanks

Jamie

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
sicknote00
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Slow Infinity speeds - Profile problems

hi wjamie134.
please fill out this form and a mod will contact you,as soon as they can.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
0 Ratings
wjamie134
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Have done, Thank you

0 Ratings
wjamie134
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Having been contacted by the mods i have found out that the speed at the hub is around 36mb/s but that is not reaching any device not connected directly via ethernet to the hub.

I performed some tests, for 3 of the main devices on my network. The results shown are an average of 3 consecutive test on speedtest.net and  Only the device being tested was connected to the hub at the time of the test.

deviceconnectionDL (Mbps)UP (Mbps)notes

deviceconnectionDL (Mbps)UP (Mbps)notes
laptopwireless0.431.09 
laptopdirect ethernet36.978.16 
PC1homeplug4.755.53Max dl of 7
PC2homeplug2.785.13 

2 PC's are connected via ethernet over homeplug and are recieving low speeds. Depspite the house being only 2 years old so has new wiring  and the occasional peak in speed showing greater download rates are possible i think i am going to have to abandon them.

The wireless connection desite having all g+ devices are also recieving low speeds, lower than on the previous hub before infinity so i do not think the hubs wireless is suitable either

As BT say that thier responsibility only extends to getting speed to the hub not further my plan is to buy a wireless N router and connect it via direct ethernet to the hub then connect the PC's and laptop to the external router with wireless N adaptors. Any other devices such as phones/ non-N adaptors  would connect wirelessly to the hub.

Does anybody know if this will work and have any recomendations on the routers?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 19

Download and run InSSider and find an uncluttered channel to manually set the HH to.

What's the speed rating of your home plugs?

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 19

InSSIDer  very useful and free http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Youtube demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk50pS-nVA

I had a lot of difference in speed between my laptops/netbooks with wireless g and n and posted HERE

btw the HH3 is a wireless n router....  apologies if you already knew that though.

Good luck

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

Smiley Sad**bleep** I missed leaving the link!

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 19

@pippincp wrote:

He he... perhaps I'll get the star Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

@PC wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

He he... perhaps I'll get the star Smiley Happy

OK then. I've given you one!

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

Wow thanks Smiley Very Happy cheque is in the post.... 

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings