Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiRich
Contributor
Message 1 of 75

Slow Internet - mods please assist.

Hi

I live within the Dudley Castle Exchange where 95% of people get fast internet except our new estate where, due to the distance from the exchange, we are limited to 3.2mbps max speed on ADSL2+

I have used a HH5 but the connection keeps dropping and the internet is irratic at best. I have not changed to a Billion 8800 which is much more stable and has dropped the SNR on the line by 2dB but our line profile is being kept low and needs a reset i think. i have been able to get just under 3Mbps in the past but the last few weeks with the HH5 we have been at 0.5 to 1.5.

I have optimised the house internal wiring (bell wire emoved and all extension wires removed) and the modem is in the main socket. ADSL Nation microfilters are used on the main socket.

The line is stable and here are the stats, any suggestions or can we change the profile???

ModeADSL_2
Traffic TypeATM
StatusUp
Link Power StateL0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding (Trellis)OnOn
SNR Margin (dB)4.97.9
Attenuation (dB)57.036.0
Output Power (dBm)0.012.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps)3204680

Rate (Kbps)2272663

K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of check bytes in RS code word)00
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)00
D (interleaver depth)642
Delay (msec)86
INP (DMT symbol)4.500.50

Super Frames50854274512256
Super Frame Errors993
RS Words6468863922455266
RS Correctable Errors271012051103
RS Uncorrectable Errors2990

HEC Errors6580
OCD Errors20
LCD Errors20
Total Cells433291792126285756
Data Cells255901694419050
Bit Errors49197280

Total ES667
Total SES00
Total UAS175175

0 Ratings
74 REPLIES 74
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 75

Re: Slow Internet - mods please assist.

As you are on adsl2 your profile should be 88.2% of connection speed. To get a better profile you need a faster speed not the other way round

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
TiRich
Contributor
Message 3 of 75

Thank you for the quick reply! Test results below. What i dont understand is that i have regularly had 3Mbps in the past. I have lost 50% of my speed.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.97 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.97 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.24 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.24Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 75

the btspeedtester results are consistent with your 2272kbps connection speed - profile at 2mb which as I said should be 88.2% of connection speed and download speed just under profile

try using the test socket instead of master socket and see if that increases your speed

check line by doing quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 75

Isn't 2272kbps the upper limit of one of the 21CN ADSL2+ line profile bands?

If the line profile has been put on that band due to issues then the connection speed, and hence down IP profile, will not increase until the band is changed.

TiRich
Contributor
Message 6 of 75

Thank you. I Will try the mastersocket direct but as there is no internal wiring at all i can't see it making any difference. regarding the noise on the line i can hear some noise with a DECT phone but need to find an old wired one to try.

0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 7 of 75

"If the line profile has been put on that band due to issues then the connection speed, and hence down IP profile, will not increase until the band is changed."

This is my point but i am no expert - i did my comms enginnering 30 years ago!

While i am chieveing near to the current line profile i know the line is capable of higher speeds. it's not much but 3Mbps is still 50% better than 2Mbps and thats what i am trying to get back to.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 75

I'm no expert either, but if your line profile is on the 1152 - 2272kbps restricted band then I think in theory the DLM will eventually change it back to your previous band automatically if any line issue has gone away. In some circumstances the DLM seems reluctant to do this (a stuck profile) and BT have to manually give the system a nudge.

The question of course is whether any line issue is still present. So yes trying the test socket is certainly a good move.

See   http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 75

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 75

It may be a banded profile but you would normally expect noise margin to be 15db+ and not 4.9db - but I have seen it lower than 15db and banded

see what you get when test socket if speed still 2272kbps then banding is possible

0 Ratings