cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 75

Re: Slow Internet - mods please assist.

Could you post the chart? Is it of SNR or SNR margin? Some routers use different names though those are two different things really.

An increase in noise should cause a decrease in the SNR margin. Think of the SNR margin as a safety margin or buffer to allow for an increase in noise after sync time.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 75

Looking back at your stats the Billion does correctly call it SNR margin.

If it goes from 7 to 12 without the connection dropping then that implies to me a temporary drop in general background noise. A fridge or freezer temporarily turning off until the internal temperature rises again?
0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 43 of 75

I think the spikes must be caused by a fridge or freezer as nothing else is on during the night unless the noise source is external.

I will fit some mains filter chokes on the fridge/freezer and see if that stops the spikes but it may be external and out of my control.

I will post the SNR log later today.

0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 44 of 75

Actually, if the SNR margin goes from 7 to 13 as a spike thats an improvement so i had it the wrong way around.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 75

It is an improvement for a short time. But another way of looking at it is to say you seem to have extra noise 99% of the time which results in a slower connection speed being set at sync time.

As you say though, noise could be caused anywhere from your modem to the exchange equipment. Using the test socket with a short cable to the HomeHub can take a lot of home wiring and home electrical device factors out of the equation so is always a useful test.

I would keep monitoring using the test socket and see if you get similar upward spikes again. See if there is a pattern?
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 75

I suppose you could try turning a fridge or freezer off at the mains for just an hour or so and see if it is clearly reflected in the stats and chart?
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 75

If the DLM ups the sync time target SNR margin for your line from 6 to 9 or 12 then that 's a different situation and indicates line issues with the DLM saying 'I think you need a bigger safety margin mate !'.

Of course you are currently overriding the DLM target with your own target of 6 anyway are you not?
0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 48 of 75

Here is a Noise Margin Plot. So normally about 6.5 with peaks that improve to 12.

Noise Margin.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 75

Can you hear any noise on quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 50 of 75

No, no noise really. I ran the BT automated line test as well and that said no faults.

But isn't this curve totally wrong? We have a bad SNR most of the time and then it peaks to a higher and better SNR?

or am i misunderstanding this.....................

Still lots of ES errors too..........

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps)576
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps)2880
Default Gateway / IPv4 Addresspppoa0 (DSL) / 86.170.1.201
Connection Time05:22:00

xDSL
ModeADSL_G.dmt
Traffic TypeATM
StatusUp
Link Power StateL0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding (Trellis)OnOn