Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Slow Speed on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

Last year I was on BT Unlimited faster broadband connecting to a cabinet 1800 metres away.

When I saw a new Fibre Optic Cabinet/PCP combined unit being constructed 1000 metres away I asked to be moved to it - never did receive a written response but when I checked on codelook about 3 months ago I could see that my landline was now connected to this new cabinet and that FTTC was due in April 2017 but finally installed July 2017.

I renewed my original faster broadband contract 2 weeks ago on the basis that I could then upgrade to faster fibre but I am puzzled by my current Home Hub Stats which report G.993.2 Annex B with sync speeds 1114/5729

Is this BT Infinity - do I need to upgrade formally? Is my profile below the old ADSL one when I was 1800 meters from Cabinet

I would hope to get 25mb down and 2 up surely being 1km away? 

Can anyone advise?

Heres the stats

. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ35233948
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 17/07/17
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 17:12:30
6. Data rate: 1114 / 5729
7. Maximum data rate: 1113 / 5912
8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation: 19.0 / 41.4
10. Signal attenuation: 19.0 / 29.0
11. Data sent/received: 1.2 GB / 17.1 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-5FXS
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-5FXS
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 34:8a:ae:7f:98:b8
24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant: AA
26. Boot loader: 1.0.0

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: Slow Speed on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

heres what the dsl checker on this cabinet is reportingDSL Checker.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

heres the codelook with distance etc im BT22 1JF

Snap 2017-08-09 at 20.14.20.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

would it be worthwhile moving to the 18x2 sim product

how do you go about this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

You haven't said, but I presume these are the same speeds you were getting previously. You have a VDSL (Infinity/faster fibre broadband/ 18-2 ) connection and are syncing at the fastest speed your line will support, I suspect you are still connected to the old cabinet. Just because a new cabinet has been provided it doesn't mean you will be connected to it. You cannot request to be connected to it and will only be moved if it is part of Openreach's network re-arrangement schemes. There is no point in changing to the 18/2 product it will be exactly the same.

If the new cabinet was only installed in July its quite likely any network re-arrangements haven't taken place yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply - yes speeds were much the same as before although it feels faster and the old connection would drop more often and take longer to sync

the code look reports the line connected to P9 now, before it was P2 so I just assumed it had been moved especially after my letter

as you say perhaps technically it hasnt - can I insist on reality on the ground matching up with whats being reported ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
What cabient does the DSL checker report?

How long ago was the new all in one cabinet installed? Does it have a silver lock on it?

At 1000m you should get closer to 25meg.

I suspect the new cabinet is not filly completed and that an possible line rearrangement hasn't yet occured. It usually takes around 3 months from when the cabinet is built and commisioned for the "live to live" migration to take place...that's the process of switching all the existing fibre customers who are served by other cabinets, over to the new one.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
Codelook is not 100% accurate. Especially when it comes to all in one cabinet rearrangements
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

i watched codelook change from provisioning date of april 2017 to july 2017 for this cabinet P9

i tracked this website :

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

and up until say 2 weeks ago it said it was still testing but has now moved to ' accepting superfast orders'

it all ties in- my theory is that the old profile from the further away cabinet has just been copied across to the closer cabinet and I am restricted in some way so that I need it loked at again by an engineer

or should I attempt an upgrade to BT infinity 1 or 2 which will resset the line 

My current package is Unlimited Faster Broad band - up to 17mb so this was also the package I was on at the old cabinet but could achieve only 6mb - now if i request the upgrade to Infinity I can really get it not just a watered down product like 18x 2?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

whats puzzling is that at 1081m from cabinet the VDSL Clean is reporting 2.2mb downstream

this seems very low and in fact this report might be the old entry for the line when connected to the further cabinet so database not updated in which case putting in order is pointless?

0 Ratings