Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanC
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Slow Speed

Basically the story goes like this

We changed to BT a couple of years ago after being on Freedom/freeserve (or w/e the company was called) to orange and had an ok service with a constant speed of 200kb/s once BB was finally rolled out to our area!

we swapped to BT on the promise of a faster internet connection, which was true for about 2/3 weeks with speeds of around 400kb/s download, but after those few precious weeks it has been a on going battle to get a half decent connection. for the last few years we have been receiving a service that provides a range of about 50kb/s download, which it currently is on, too 147kb/s the lesser number being the more usual speed. but we have had times of a lousy 7.... yes 7kb/s for sometimes a week or 2 but this is rare and only occured when we were using the HH2.

we are now using a netgear DGN2200 which I had to purchase about a year ago because the HH2 kept repeated reseting itself when i would be looking for servers to games on things like counterstrike and l4d, and taking times of 20mins to 3hrs to reconnect which the netgear seems to be able to connect online in around 20-40secs from a reboot!

not only am i receiving terrible speeds but my ping/latency seems to be horrific! on UK servers i range from 70-150ms depending on the day, while there are people from belguim and other euro countries that are on the like of 20-30 which actually makes alot of difference. turns games from being fun to quite frustrating. we do have times where i can download at 87kb/s for about a week but that is still subpar tbh considering that amount we have had to pay over the years, since there is NO cable in my area 😞

my neighbour is on AOL and on download speeds of 400kb/s-650kb/s and has a ping of about 30.

The contract is my parents but as the main user in my house its become an absolute nightmare. my mum isnt too bothered by it as she only uses it for the basic browsing so it seems fine for her and my sister, and hasnt got the time to be messing around with BT india which we have called about a year ago but got frustrated with the lack of progress. so im taking the intiative to try and get this rediculous service sorted! if im playing a game or doing anything the moment they open up and webpage or even facebook it just becomes unplayable/unusable as my ping rockets up.

I do have a theory that were stuck on a low I.P profile from the days of the constant router resets from the HH2 and its never bothered to readjust now i have a decent router. but as i said years of having this pitiful service has just boiled up so im trying to get this sorted finally.

please help 😞

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow Speed

welcome to the forum

in order to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 3 of 11

You are not liikely to be on a fixed low IP profile although they can be stuck but it is fairlly rare now apart from for some reason at 2000kbs

It could be that you are stuck on a high line margin instead and that is something that does not sort itself out. When next you have a brand new connection straight away see what the SNR reading is, it should be 6 but could be any mulitple of 3 above that (may be slightly different), if it is always tending to a value more than 6 then it is probably set high due to a set of quick disconnects/reconnects in which case the mods here could get it reset for you providing that your connection otherwise is stable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DeanC
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

thanks for the reply guys sorry but got called out so was unable to reply until now 🙂

is this what you mean in terms of adsl information??

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed768 kbps192 kbps
Line Attenuation30.0 db10.0 db
Noise Margin6.6 db7.0 db

speedtester results

Download speed achieved during the test was - 436
Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional
Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :768 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM),
192 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

In regards to how the line is connected, i believe the line in connected to the master socket via an extension lead which is probably about 10meters long give or take a meter. although im unable to fully check this as getting into the attic is somewhat a pain atm (boxes everywhere 🙂 )

0 Ratings
DeanC
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

raymie thanks for the info but where would i find the SNR reading? sorry trying to find out about all this web stuff and revising for exams is a right nightmare 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

your connection is really bad for an attenuation of 30 - should be looking at 7/8mb on adslmax.

my guess without more info is that the problem is probably the 10m extension and if you could connect the hub direct to the master or better the test socket I expect a big improvement.  That might no be possible for the long term but you would be better connecting the hub with 10m of shielded modem cable rj11 rather than just ordinary telephone extension

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DeanC
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

ahh it wouldnt suprise me tbh! typical that something simple like that would potentially be the cause of the problem 😛 ill have to get hold of some an replace it and see what happens! if i managed to drag a power cable up there to plug the router directly into the master socket will i see an immediate improvement or will i have to wait for it all to resync?

oh and if i look into the BT website for them to test my speed that i would receive if i was to purchase a package, it says that my line is good for 5.5mbps! i dream of that! hopefully this will sort it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

if you were able to connect the hub to the master or better the test socket by using a power extension then moving the hub will cause a reset and If that is the problem I would expect to see an immediate improvement in connection speed.  noise margin might increase a bit and profile might take a few days to catch up.

of course I may be wrong but I'm sure the 10m extension is not helping

0 Ratings
DeanC
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

im willing to try anything atm so ill give it a try next week if i can find some time to get up there and have a tidy 🙂

thanks for the input mate much appreciated

0 Ratings
DeanC
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I have also just relised something the line that comes off the filter for the phone line, is just a cheapy very long line to the other end of the house where the phone / sky is plugged in. will that make a difference or should i replace that too? (seperate from the net line)

0 Ratings