Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akathos
Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Slow Speeds, BB will drop with incoming calls

Go to solution

Hi,

I've recently moved home and I expected a slower speed going from 8mg.. down to a pathetic supposed 2mg... as of this morning using a speedtester (not BT's its broken for me) I was get 0.7m download speed, im lucky to get 80kbps download speed.
I have attached a BT Accelerator, and plugged the router into the master socket, also testing any speed increase in the test socket, also made a note that the speed doesn't increase when plugged into my laptop, directly thru an ethernet.  The past two months, the exchange had two 'Outages' according to BT, and ever since, every so often, when a phone call comes in, my broadband connection will drop, and have to re-connect.. interupting my gaming..skype calls... and web design.... VERY frustrating.  I changed my filter to the spare one you get with the homehub box, as I heard that should fix it...but it hasn't..I use to get 120kbps, which although extremely low speeds, was considered a good day for me! And now im lucky to breach 80kbps on downloads. Baring in mind im paying £40 a month, for an unlimited download with phone line... this is a SHOCKING service. For that price I should expect atleast 8mg... But anyway... the speed is the issue for me.

I was wondering if there is any advice to take on board. Heres my stats. Any information needed.. let me know..

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time4 days, 0:26:02
Downstream992 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)5.9 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)62.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)14.1 dBm / 12.4 dBm
0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 34

Re: Slow Speeds, BB will drop with incoming calls

Go to solution

0.7mbs is the correct speed for your current connection. Your IP profile will be 750kbs

Your downstream noise margin at the time of the stats seems fine but the connection speed you are getting seems far to low for your line attentuation.

Can you please post some details of your internal setup

Type of BT socket, do you have a filtered faceplate, do you use the master socket for the router, do you have any extension sockets in place etc.

Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 14.30.20.jpg
Call 17070 and Press Option 2 for the Quiet Line test and where possible use a corded phone as DECT handsets can pick up electrical interference?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Akathos
Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

I have the far left, NTE5. With the BT Accel fitted, which doesnt do much good anyway, router is plugged into the main socket, after opening up, no extensions are wired in to it, but there is a socket upstairs, being un-used. phone line was quiet other than a gentle hiss.

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

ok then

first test people will normally suggest is to remove the faceplate from the NTE5 and use the test socket (with a filter) for the router and phone for a few days.

In your case it should not really make a difference howveer unless the faceplate is damaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution
Hi if you have no telephone extensions then there is little need for the accelerator as it was designed to filter the line for extensions in some cases it can actually slow the connection i would suggest that you retry connecting to the test socket and see if there is any improvement
0 Ratings
Akathos
Contributor
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

Oki, Ill see if it makes a difference, what could be causing the freuqent BB drop outs when someone calls in, it only happened after BT had their outages in the exchange? Any advice for me there? I already changed the filter to the spare one I had in my router box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution
Your problem could be line noise
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution

If I may offer my pennies worth, you may want to check out this post I wrote to another customer on a similar line length, about ways you yourself can improve your own setup and wiring.  There is only so much BT Openreach will do, as there is no committment yet in law to provide broadband at all. Here is the link: http://goo.gl/ddnG2

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution
A usefull link well worth reading
0 Ratings
Akathos
Contributor
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution
SOunds good, Ill give these a try! Thanks guys 🙂