Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nihil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Slow Upload / ADSL 2+ Unavailable

Go to solution

I have a few issues with my current BT ADSL connection, the primary being my relatively slow upload speed. It also seems to become unstable on occasion.

The router is a Netgear DGND3700v2, and syncs at first at a little over 400kbps upload. This usually then disconnects and reconnects at 128kbps - 256kbps, and even at these speeds it still occasionally disconnects.

If I try and force on ADSL 2 or 2+ the router also fails to connect entirely, I presume due to my extremely high line attenuation? (21CN, ADSL Max etc. are all enabled on my exchange according to this page, however I also live an insane distance from it (3km+)

The stats provided by my router are below:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate1888 Kbps256 Kbps
Line Attenuation61.0 dB31.5 dB
Noise Margin9.9 dB

7.0 dB

Given the extremely high values for line attenuation, and low amount of fluctuation, I'm guessing they may actually be slightly higher but this is the highest my router will report. On the quiet line test I can however hear pretty much nothing, maybe a very slight humm if I really strain, which is likely the phone.

According to the BT Wholesale speed test, the IP Profile for my line is 0.45kbps upload, the same speed it always initially connects at. This is pretty terrible, but I could live with it, does anyone have any ideas as to why it would be disconnecting at this speed?

And just for clarification, download is not an issue for me. I simply need the upload speed to be ~400k as a minimum for work, and for the connection to be stable. If anyone knows of anything that could be causing such terrible line attenuation that would be great.

Am I correct in thinking these kind of values are pretty much as bad as they come? Or why my closest exchange is 4km away? This surprised me, as I live in a fairly urban area.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Slow Upload / ADSL 2+ Unavailable

Go to solution
Your high attenuation is due to your distance from the exchange about 4.4km so unless you move home nearer the exchange there is not much more you can do

Are you connected to the test socket? If not can you connect to test socket and post new stats - can you post all the information when you go to 'show statistics'

Moving to 21cn adls2 requires bt to move you and you cannot just try to get router to connect. With your attenuation your connection speed would be very similar but you would get upstream of about 1mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

If your line cannot manage 440kbps upload at present I'm not sure it will necessarily do better on 21CN ADSL2.  I've seen a line fault manifest as slow upload speeds.  In that case, other symptoms were some audible noise on the line and a tendency to lose sync when the phone rang.

Nihil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:
Your high attenuation is due to your distance from the exchange about 4.4km so unless you move home nearer the exchange there is not much more you can do

Are you connected to the test socket? If not can you connect to test socket and post new stats - can you post all the information when you go to 'show statistics'

Yeah I had a feeling this was the case, just seemed unusually high even for this distance! I can't remember seeing 60+dB on any connection bar this one.

It is connected to the test socket however, so is almost definitely the long line causing it 😞

These also unfortunately appear to be the most detailed stats the DGND3700v2 feels like providing, and there's no custom firmware available for it unlike some of the other netgear routers.

@imjolly wrote:
Moving to 21cn adls2 requires bt to move you and you cannot just try to get router to connect. With your attenuation your connection speed would be very similar but you would get upstream of about 1mb

This would actually be pretty useful, it is essentially all I need. Is there any way to request a move, or is one of those "wait and hope they get around to it" things?

Guessing they prioritize new contracts/customers?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution
You can check you speed using attenuation here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

There is normally another row of stats ppoa/lan/wlan beside the stats you posted in addition there should be a conenction time

I would try downloading routerstats which will give a lot more information about your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Nihil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

Ahh right yeah, sorry I cut the LAN stats out. Will include them below:

System Up Time 02:38:14
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA242931970655367400:04:57
LAN1100M/Full1705611332083929702:37:59
LAN2Link down
LAN3Link down
LAN4Link down
WLAN b/g/n300M437748252320057425296202:37:28
WLAN a/n300M0000002:37:22

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate1824 Kbps64 Kbps
Line Attenuation61.0 dB31.5 dB
Noise Margin11.2 dB6.0 dB

Is on PPPoA, VC multiplexing, VPI: 0, VCI: 38

My primary PC is on LAN1, laptop and mobiles on the WLAN usually on g, since I have too many walls in my house for n.

And as you can see my router has disconnected again and is now connected at 64kbps upload Smiley LOL Guessing Reed Richards was right and there might be a fault somewhere.

Will download routerstats now and see if I can find some more detailed information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution
Did you use a new filter when you connected o the test socket? Do you use a telephone extension cable to connect the router?

Have you noticed if connection drops when you receive a call? When you make a call?

Nihil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

I would try downloading routerstats which will give a lot more information about your connection

Hmm, whereabouts am I looking on routerstats? Seems to just pull data from the stats page on my router?

Worth trying Telnet to get more data or just ring BT tomorrow and get them to check for faults again?

0 Ratings
Nihil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:
Did you use a new filter when you connected o the test socket? Do you use a telephone extension cable to connect the router?

Have you noticed if connection drops when you receive a call? When you make a call?

Dropped intermittently while I was on the phone earlier, was an inbound call if it makes any difference. A cable is also used for the router, it's only about 30cm long so shouldn't be a problem, swapping it out also makes no difference.

Currently there are no filters installed, have a faceplate filter on my main socket so they shouldn't be needed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution
You need to set up routerstats so you get better information about errors and noise margin and how they are fluctuating. i wouldn't use the CS helpline. If you need bt help then better getting that from forum mods