cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Slow Upload Speed - Limited to 10% of Download Speed?

Go to solution

Hi all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I've been having problems with my Vodafone Sure Signal box - poor voice quality. Having spoken to Vodafone, they tell me the minimum upload speed required is 0.35 Mbps. I'm only achieving 0.14 - 0.32 Mbps with BT Broadband Unlimited, so I contacted BT to see if they could help.

After a lengthy conversation, the lady told me she was going to change my wireless channel from her end (!) and I would have no more issues. She would give me a call back in an hour to check everything was ok.

One and a half hours later, nothing had changed, which I told her when she phoned back. She then seemed surprised it was my upload speed that was the problem (I had been more than clear in our first call) and put me on hold for several minutes while she discussed with her colleagues. She then told me the upload speed is limited to 10% of the download speed, my download speed is ~3 Mbps so the top upload speed I'm achieving ties in with what she is saying.

Bottom line, I suppose, is the upload speed genuinely limited to 10% of download speed? If so, I guess I'm destined to have poor voice quality on my calls (mobile signal is terrible here).

Some Current data:

Download Speed (Mbps): 3.34

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.23

Ping latency (ms): 47.13

Exchange Info (apologies for formatting, the forum software has changed it due to "invalid HTML" - 21CN is enabled):

General Information
Exchange name:Exchange code:Location:Postcode:Maps:Serves (approx):
Inverness Macdhui
NSIMD
Highland Scotland
IV11RN
Our mapMultimapStreetmap
21,125 residential premises
1,600 non-residential premises.
Broadband availability overview
ADSL:SDSL:LLU services:Cable:Wireless:
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
BT Wholesale information
ADSL status:ADSL Max status:SDSL status:21CN WBC status:FTTC status:
Enabled as of 30/06/2001
Enabled as of 31/03/2006
Enabled as of 10/04/2005
Enabled
Available in some areas
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow Upload Speed - Limited to 10% of Download Speed?

Go to solution

It looks like you are only on ADSL Max at the moment.

What are your ADSL Statistics

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

if your exchnage is 21CN enabled then it may be possibe to get you upgraded, possibly requires agreeing a new 12 month contract, and while this may not make much difference to your down connection speed it will increase your up speed to about 1mb

need adsl stats first though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm not sure what ADSL Max means.

My ADSL stats are:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 03:11:23
Downstream:3.531 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:Unknown or no mode configured
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.9 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):55.2 dB / 30.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):15336 / 8
CRC Events (Down/Up):50 / 2
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):228 / 2
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):100 / 49
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

from your stats your connection speed is about correct for your attenuation - you are on adslmax up to 8mb

however as your exchnage is 21CN enabled that does allow you via the mods to upgrade to adsl2 which may not make much if any difference to your down connection speed but it will increase your up to about 1mb  as I said this has normally required you to agree a new 12 month contract.  if you are happy with that then post back and we can get mods involved

you need to be aware that adsl2 brings with it a more aggressive system on line noise and what is a good conenction on adslmax may not initially be a good connection on adsl2 - without some work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly, I have no issues with my download speed (well, I do, but I'm not expecting any more!) so that's not an issue. If ADSL2 can give me a better upload speed I'm all for that, signing up for another 12 months isn't a problem.

Regarding the 'more aggressive system on line noise' - what does this mean and how badly might it affect my connection? When you say it can be fixed with some work, does this mean a period of poor connection while BT sorts out any issues, or something else?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I should add, I did a 'quiet line test' and couldn't hear any noise.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Changing to adsl2 may not bother your connection - I was just making you aware that upgrading to adsl2 is not always ok from square one

as you want to upgrade then when the mods read your posts they will give you a link to contact them.  once you complete the email it can take 3/5 working days for mods to contact you by either phone or email  contact mods link.jpg

Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Ok, thanks. So the Mods will post in this thread when they see I want to upgrade, and I click the link from there? Sounds good, I'll wait for them. 

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Hi bluepeter75,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.