Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slow Upload?

Hi All

I happily switched to BT Infinity in early June as soon as my exchange became enabled (Ashtead).

My line was 'rated' at giving me 53 down and 20 up. I now consistently get 45-53 down depending on time of day etc but I have only ever managed 4-6 up.  I upload a lot of photos to the Cloud so am disappointed in this speed.

To me, this is much lower than I should be getting, given what I was told I would get. I am not a broadband novice and I know all about the 'up to' arguments, but I thought it would be different with FTTC and I would get an upload speed much closer to what they rated my line as achieving.

I am on the Infinity 2 unlimited, 'up to' 76 down and 19 up package.

Is 1/5 the speed I was advised of being able to get in upload a problem?

Many thanks for any advice.

Jeff

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow Upload?

Test your upload with http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html.  This gives me realistic figures that match those I see on good quality real upload work (backup to SquirrelSave) (around 15/17 for me).  The BT wholesale  speedtester usually gives around 10, the the BT retail speedtester under 8.

Some cloud backup is very slow.  Below are a few tests I made earlier when I first had Infinity installed.  Also, quite a few clients have tunable speed locks to prevent them killing other programs, and these often default to values appropriate to ADSL rather than FTTC.

When I was first installed there were quite a few download issues (profile went down to 3.5Mbps from 58Mbps at one point).  The upload remained at a profile of 20 and actual upload speeds remained good.

backup speeds (all in kbps):
~~~~~~~~~
CrashPlan: 600 (nb to US servers, CrashPlan UK is a different more expensive setup that has UK servers)
IDrive: 2700, rock solid
ZipCloud: 1000
DropBox: 3200, but very irregular
GoogleDrive: 2400, slightly irregular
SquirrelSave: 7500 (after minor hiccup which was my fault), up to 8200. 17000 with WinSCP

and, just added, Flickr uploader: 4 (no other network activity)

Flickr (web) 5000

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Unfortunately the estimate is really only just that. Some people do better and other less so. There are many reasons for this. The obvious is line length, and then line quality. Also as time goes by cross-talk from other lines using Infinity will further degrade the speeds lines can operate under. It appears that even though a line can start performing at one level and do so for several months things can change and then the performance degrades. This is a fact of using old telephone cables to deliver a service that they were never designed to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the quick responses.  I tried that speed test site and got 51.6 down and 7.03 up.

Does this still seem very low?

Thanks

Jeff

1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 9

That does still seem low, as given your download you must have a reasonable connection.  Run the BT test http://speedtester.bt.com/ , choose 'ADSL and Fibre Diagnostics', and post the results including your profile.  The speed results from that tester are not that useful, but the profile will give some indication of why the speed is low.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Here it is:

1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

That may be hard to read, so what it says is:

-----------------------

Download speedachieved during the test was - 51.14 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-53.91 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 53.91 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.87Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

---------------------

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 9

I'm afraid I've almost run out of ideas.  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps  is exactly as it should be.  For me that has meant uploads up to 17Mbps on http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html and on (rather rare) well behaving real sites.

You didn't mention your operating system.  The only other thing I can think of is if your MTU is set wrong.  That seems to be pretty rare on modern operating systems which auto adjust themselves and largely get it right (even Vista).

Unless anyone more expert than me can come up with a suggestions pretty soon, your best bet is to contact the mods at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, I am using Windows 7 64-bit on a new build Intel 3770k so I would hope the old MTU setting problem wouldn't exist.

I will contact the mods and see if they can help.

Really appreciate all your help!

Jeff

0 Ratings