wpa2 security
40 mhz bandwidth

use inssider to locate a free channel and set the router to that
0 Ratings
spendleb
Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Re: Slow Wireless think i've solved problem

Thanks I am back home tonight so will try all this. BT reckon when they tested late last week that I am getting download speeds of between 23840 and 99999 so it does seem to be the wireless connection. Might need to borrow a works laptop to test the wired connection too.
0 Ratings
spendleb
Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Tried using WPA2 only (for some reason it then told me I was using an insecure connection?) then also changed to N wireless. Again the speed went back up to 20mbps but kept dropping the connection every 3 or 4 minutes, the speed then dropped back to less than 1mbps so I changed it back to the default. It just won't hold those high speeds constantly yet it was fine until fairly recently. BT no longer seem interested as their tests show wired is fine yet I can't use wired now as I have a pad and no laptop!
0 Ratings
spendleb
Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Finally managed to hook up a laptop with a wired connection and I was getting around 21 mbps despite the wireless devices reporting around 3mbps but even that keeps dropping low. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Is it worth raising with BT again although they are adamant I have a fantastic signal (wired) and basically told me to go away unless I wanted to pay for someone to check.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

There is some help on these pages.

Wireless connection problems

0 Ratings
spendleb
Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Thanks but none of that helped, not sure what to do really other than live with it, some nights I can get a decent signal and can use SKYPE etc but other nights its an unwatchable picture or the audio is cut up, bizarre when a wired connection is showing 20mbps.   If it was just one device I would have thought maybe a hardware issue but my Xoom and SGII have the same issue with wireless speed, also tried two different HH3's and it doesn't improve (other than the short lived boost each time I change the wireless channel).

0 Ratings