Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Slow and interrupted

Go to solution

Hi

I had my broadband and the phone line installed 17.01.17. When I was signing to a contract my estimated broadband speed according to the website suppose to be between 2.5 -6.5Mbs, and should not be less than 1.5Mbs. Since day of service installation, broadband speed did not reach guaranteed minimal speed, either on wired or wireless devices. I’m using BT wholesale broadband speed test website and average download speed is bellow 1Mbs. Several phone calls and line checks done by phone centre staff in the UK and offshore show no phone line problems. And according to them i should have on average 4.7Mbs. I had my internal wiring changed on 08.02.17. but outreach engineer could not perform snr-reset. He spent 2h on the phone with his technical support team and they said to him that my broadband is restricted by my service provider. He also checked phone line from my property to the exchange centre and according to his entire test there were no faults on the phone line. Outreach engineer said that there is no need for another engineers inspections, he also advised me that I need to phone my service provider (BT) and ask them to increase my service rate speed, which I did on the same day. Staff from offshore phone centre informed me that it will be done and I need to wait for 72 hours for the change in broadband speed to take place. So I was back on the phone on Monday 13.02.17, this time I was connected to the UK based phone centre in Swansea. According to lady on the phone, hers tests showed that there was a fault with the phone line, so she requested another engineer’s visit to check external phone lines. So I had another engineers visit on 15.02.17 and on this occasion tests show that there were no faults identified with phone lines, and job was marked as resolved. Sadly my broadband speed is still bellow 1Mbs. What is very disappointing with contacting BT phone centres is that on every occasion I’m being informed that my package details are different to the one I signed to. On one occasion I was told that I’m Fibre-optic costumer, on other occasion I’ve been informed that I’m on fixed speed of 1Mbs. And every point of contact with BT I need to go through security checks and full phone line checks, to be informed that another engineer’s visit is required, or that I’m on slower speed deal and need to upgrade etc (average time spent on the phone or through online chat is in about 30 min). What is even more frustrating my neighbours are also BT costumers and they are only 20m closer to the exchange point and the broadband speed is on average 2.5-4.7Mbs. Even today when I logged on to the BT website and try to buy new broadband on my existing phone line, I am being informed that my average speed will be between 2.5-6.5Mbs. Can anybody please let me know what else can I do to improve my broadband speed?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow and interrupted

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if u The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Will perform all requested tests when I go back home. Thank you
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

dsl av.jpg 

bst.jpg

when i try to run further diagnostics I allways have this message

FD.jpg

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

only found this one

18:55:38, 15 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=1152Kbps, Ip Rate=288Kbps; SNR Margin Down=32.9dB, Up=31.0dB

i can't find nothing looking like those one bellow:

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Phoned 17070 option 2 and dont know what I'm looking for but there was barely audible hum. I did need to put my speaker in headset to maximum to be capable to hear that hum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
with a corded phone there should be no noise at all on a cordless phone a dull hum will be heard

it looks like you are on a fixed rate service this will need the forum mods to assist you they will post their contact link here
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Arahnofobia and thanks for posting.

I'm sure I can help with the connection problem. Please send over your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Arahnofobia,

Thanks for taking my call today. As discussed, I've placed an order with wholesale to get you onto the correct profile so can you try running the speed test and post the results?

Cheers

David

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Arahnofobia,

Just a quick follow up. I’ve checked your connection again this morning and you’re currently connecting at 8meg so it looks like it’s all sorted. If there are any other problems post back and we’ll be happy to help.

Cheers

David