cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

Slow broadband after landline fault

Lost my landline for a couple of days last week however my Infinity soldiered on, although a bit slower than usual. 4 days later & my speed is still stuck at around 60mbps down 13mbps up with a ping time twice what it was. Until the fault occured I was at full speed in both directions, not suprising as the cabinet is only a few metres away from my house. When I mentioned that the speed hadn't gone back up to the engineer who repaired the landline he told me to ring Bt & inform them that the landline was now fixed & they would do a reset.

IF ONLY! First call - we cannot help you for 24 hours after a repair as it might clear by itself - it didn't, next day - wasted my time running tests & totally ignoring what I was telling him, eventually decided he would have to refer it upstairs, heard nothing since. This is no way to run a buisiness!

My contract is up in March & by coincidence Virgin are about to finish the cabling of my area which stopped when Telewest went bust, could it be kismet!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Slow broadband after landline fault

you need to give the DLM time to reset the line automatically this can take up to 3 weeks of stable connection

The Openreach engineer advised you incorrectly only Openreach can carry out manual DLM resets after a line fault but it does need a broadband engineer to do this not a voice line engineer
0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

In what way was his info. incorrect?

He told me I needed to contact the broadband support guys to get the line reset, and that's what I did.

Trouble is they seem to be more interested in spending their time fobbing me off rather than doing their jobs.

4 weeks is an unacceptable delay when everyone knows that doing the reset is possible and will fix the problem in a few minutes, not weeks!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

normally a DLM reset is only done by an openreach broadband engineer during a visit to your home otherwise you just let DLM make the change automatically.  just need to maintain a stable connection for DLM to take action to improve your conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

After a line fault is fixed the DLM takes 3-10 days to stabilise. Although it may sometimes get stuck and need a manual reset.

You don't necessarily have to have an Engineer come do it, no reason why your ISP can't get the Openreach Support Team to do it.

The reason the Engineer who fixed the fault wouldn't have done it is because to do it you need a unique ref num to force a reset and that is only supplied to them on specific FTTC faults, not ordinary Voice Faults.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

@John25Roberts wrote:
After a line fault is fixed the DLM takes 3-10 days to stabilise. Although it may sometimes get stuck and need a manual reset.

You don't necessarily have to have an Engineer come do it, no reason why your ISP can't get the Openreach Support Team to do it.

The reason the Engineer who fixed the fault wouldn't have done it is because to do it you need a unique ref num to force a reset and that is only supplied to them on specific FTTC faults, not ordinary Voice Faults.

Except that Openreach won't allow it.

There is no reason why the ISP can't do it as they can with ADSL except Openreach won't allow it.

Can you see a pattern here?

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Not in my experience has it ever been a problem. All it takes is a phone call from BT to Openreach.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 20

@John25Roberts Openreach do not provide ISP's the facility to remotely reset the profile on FTTC connections. This can only be arranged by us sending an Openreach broadband boost engineer.

Neil

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

I didn't say for the ISP to reset it, I said the ISP can contact Openreach and have them reset it.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

well in my experience and from forum post that doesn't happen 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings