Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Slow broadband after noisy line repair

Go to solution

Hello,

I had a noisy line which was traced to the equipment in the Holsworthy Exchange.

The engineer also fitted a new master socket 3 to replace an ancient socket.

Prior to the noisy line issue I was getting 3.8Mbps downstream to the hub (HomeHub4), with stable 3.5Mbps download speeds. Ever since the repair, the speeds have been slower with downloads varying between 1.8 and 2.8. An email to BT Care resulted in a pointless call from India which achieved nothing.

A test today shows the following:-

Download speed - 2.24Mbps

Acceptable range - 1.2 - 4Mbps

IP profile - 2.29Mbps

Can my speed be restored please?

Thanks in hope!

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Slow broadband after noisy line repair

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Thank you.

As requested, readings as follows:-

DSL noise margin UP 18dB

DSL noise margin DOWN 6.2dB

Line rate UP 448Mbps

Line rate DOWN 2592Mbps

Download speed 2.24Mbps

Upload speed 0.36Mbps

I.P. profile down 2.29

I.P. profile up 0.45

Quiet line test OK.

As stated, prior to equipment replacement at exchange, line rate downstream was 3.8Mbps.

Hope someone can help with this.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

from your stats there is nothing more to do as your noise margin is about normal 6db and your current connection speed is about your max attainable.  just maintain a stable connection and if any scope for improvement then that will be automatic by DLM

Stats don't sugegst you need any manual intervention

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

As stated, the engineer fitted a new type 3 socket, but yes I have tried the test socket with three different filters - no difference!

I have lost a third of my speed since the "repair" - there must be a reason for this.  Indeed, the speed was better than this while the line was noisy!

There must be something that can be done - I look forward to your comments.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

when you say no difference in test socket was that actual speed, noise margin and attainable speed all stayed the same?  did engineer say if he found a line problem or solved by moving to a different pair of wires?

as I said there is nothing in your stats which suggests there is a problem

0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Speeds were the same using test socket - I didn't check the noise margin.

As I stated in my first post, the engineer traced the noisy line to a PCB in the Holsworthy exchange.  He didn't, to my knowledge, change the pair or do any other work.  As soon as he had replaced the PCB, he called me to check the line was now clear. Ever since then, the speeds have been a third lower.  Is it possible there is a setting on the PCB that needs changing, or is there a default "cap" that can be removed to allow the speeds to come back up?

Thank you

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

the reason I ask whether you checked noise margin and attainable it often is the case when moving to test socket speed may be the same or similar but noise margin increases which then gives scope for increase in seed and the higher noise margin reduces down to normal 6db

at present, as I have said, your conenction looks ok with conenction speed just below attainable and noise margin normal at 6db  there is no cap applied to your line

0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Hello,

I've been unavailable, so haven't pursued this ongoing problem since last post.

My speed is getting slower - it's now down to 2.1Mbps.

To repeat, I was getting 3.5Mbps before the noisy line repair. I'm getting VERY frustrated that BT don't seem interested.  All I get is "You're getting the maximum speed your line can support" constantly ignoring my assertions about the speed I was getting. 

There has to be a technical reason for the drop - I just want someone to find it !!!

Everything internal has been checked repeatedly - the problem is external.

Is anyone prepared to sort this for me ?

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

can you post the 2 lines of stats from troubleshooting/logs should last reset date, noise margin and connection speed

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

0 Ratings