Did you mean: 
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: Slow broadband after noisy line repair

Go to solution

DSL noise margin: 17.00 dB upstream, 6.20dB downstream

DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2531 Kbps downstream

I believe that my next door neighbour has just acquired a HomeHub4 and may have a new connection.  Is it possible that they are taking some of my bandwidth?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

your neighbour's conenction is not 'stealing' your bandwidth

your stats look ok with 2.5mb connection and noise margin about normal 6db

what estimated figures do you get if you enter your phone number here  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

OK.

ADSL2+ Downstream line rate up to 1.5   Downstream range 1-3.5

ADSL max            "                up to 1              "               0.75-2.5

WBC fixed rate      "                        2

Fixed rate            "                         2

0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

Hello,

I gave the requested figures 3 days ago, but have not heard from you since.

Regards

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

This is only a customer to customer fourm, and sometimes it can be a few days before the person reposts.

Also, you are getting about the right speeds you would expect from your line, so I doubt there is much that can be done.

Leaving it connected, without any restart or disconnections, is the best chance of any improvements.

I have reproduced below, some comments from RogerB, one of out forum experts.

BT broadband is line adaptive, if you have a good line, you get good broadband , BUT consider this, you only get good broadband from the outset, if you let the exchange "train" the connection, when it is new, simply because it has to try various methods of modulation.

And once it is running at full speed and set the MSR (maximum stable rate) provided you don't keep disconnecting the router, it will stay that way.

So two important things:  ALWAYS leave the router on, 24/7 and DO NOT impede the training process which can take up to 10 days.

The reasons are vaguely the same for both scenarios:  DLM trains the connection during setup, and DLM runs the connection in a similar but different mode once it's running.

And the most common issue apart from line faults in causing poor broadband is FREQUENT RESETS and DISCONNECTIONS of the router or hub, because if you interupt line management it will demote the line profile if done to excess, with often time consuming efforts and long waits to get it back.

BT don't punish users indiscriminently by making them wait for their broadband speed to come up, but the line management is in place to DEFEND the network against bad and corrupted data, and if the exchange sees your line being reset too often it assumes a fault, whereby your linespeed is demoted, and often profoundly so.

Also, because the exchange can't tell the difference between you messing around resetting all the time, and a real line fault, it assumes (using logic)
the worst and demotes the line profile.

If you get a real line fault and the noise margin increases, the linespeed will decrease, it's normal, again it's a defence to help give you a service allbeit a depleted one, and at the same time stop corrupted data getting back to the exchanges.

But unfortunatlely it's at this point when people in general start to become frustrated,  and guess what?

They then start to reset the router in an attempt to "repair" the connection. And in doing so, impede the line management from promoting the linespeed again. (providing any fault is or was fixed).

And to summarise, if the connection is left to run unimpeded, no excess resetting, and left to its own devices, it actually benefits from the good line history that the exchange has accumulated for your connection, simply because the attention span by the line management is not so profound when it does bite the dust, for whatever reason.

So regardless of the opinions of some, switching off broadband routers is NOT a good idea, not if you want consistent broadband and a good line rate.

0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, and for the attached information.

After the line fault was repaired, I left the router untouched for weeks, but my previous speed never came back.

And since. it has gone even slower.   My first port of call was 151, and the Call Centre script reader asked me to go through all the usual stuff including resetting and trying new filters, etc.

None of this has made any difference.  I was getting 2.7Mbps for a while after the repair, but has slowed to a fairly stable 2.2 now.  My line supported a stable 3.5Mbps before the repair, so why does it now only support 2.2?  What's changed?

Can't someone from BT investigate?  As there is no prospect of fibre coming to this location, the least BT can do is give me the best possible speed - previous performance shows it is possible! If records are kept, I did numerous speed checks on "speedtest.btwholesale.com" before the noisy line.  These will show the 3.5Mbps I used to get.

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

as you are on adslmax you have a connection speed well within your estimated speed with stats that look ok and from what you say a stable conenction  I understand you had faster conenction before problems but at present even your attainable is not that high

all I can suggest is to see if mods can get you upgraded to adsl2 which may, I stress may, give slightly more down speed but will certainly increase your up speed.  however adsl2 is more aggressive on line noise so if there is any line noise it may result in drops in connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
atariman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Thank you.

The uploads are a problem, causing pages to load very slowly, or even time out.  Download speed is poor enough to cause buffering even on BBC iPlayer radio.  The line is very quiet, so ADSL2 should help somewhat, so please ask the mods to do whatever they can. 

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

the mods will try and help and post contact s lin here 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 2/3 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @atariman

Thanks for your post and welcome back.

I'll be able to check to see if we can get an order placed to upgrade your upload speed.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie 

0 Ratings