cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 142

Re: Slow broadband on the Smallbrook exchange.

Thierry121

I was told the same thing by one operator, however this was the same operator that booked the engineer that never came... So I took it with a pinch of salt. Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 142

I hope this is true about an upgrade at the end of November.

To throw a spanner into the works, I know of someone else now who gets 7.6Mps on this exchange, so it can't be all of its customers that are affected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 13 of 142

Funny thing is, even though there's an obvious problem of over-subcription I still see BT installing more lines that they cannot handle.

I got 7.6mps when I first got connected but looked how it fizzled out after a month! 

I hope they do upgrade the exchange, my fault tracker has been open ended for nearly two weeks, still no sincere apology or discount for the trouble of paying a premium for 2001 broadband speeds...

0 Ratings
Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 142

A guy called me today and said that the line had been given a new profile and that it needs a few days to "settle down". He also assured me that he "was certain" the speed will increase tomorrow.

11/11/2010 1@ 17:11

Download speedachieved during the test was - 513 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

The profile appears to be the same. I'm not holding my breath.

0 Ratings
Krud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 142

Hiya, just wanted to pitch in on this smallbrook exchange issue.

I've been dealing with BT customer services and their technical support staff for the past 2.5 months, for the exact same reason you're describing. I have been informed, just like the other people in the smallbrook area experiencing speed issues that there will be a MUX upgrade to the exchange at the end of November, which should technically help get rid of the massive contention on the exchange.

You're definitely not alone in this mess that is the Smallbrook exchange area but reading that I'm not the only one that got told about the November fix does make me feel slightly more optimistic.

0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 142

I got a tweet from @BTCare today asking "How's the BT Broadband in your area now? You should see an inprovement." - http://twitter.com/BTCare/status/2673774239420416

I replied refering them to this thread.  I've not noticed any improvement yet. I'm getting ~570kbps at 21:53 via speedtest.net

0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 17 of 142

Hey, is any of you guys receiving problems with BT speedtester? It doesn't test the line anymore and just times out. I've resorted to using speedtester and it's gone really slow in the mornings now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1028636119.png

0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 142

I was told by Virgin Media that if the speed is under 400kbps the speed tester will fail.

0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 19 of 142

Out of curiosity, is anyone going to ask for compensation of BT? Since I've had broadband it's only performed at 7Mps for 1/3 months. Also I've been told it's only the Technical department that can authorise it.

0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 142

I don't know about BT, but VM have put me onto their lowest package because there's no chance I'm going to reach the cap with these speeds, and given me further discount for a degraded service.

0 Ratings