cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blade79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 142

Re: Slow broadband on the Smallbrook exchange.

Hi guys,

I have just found out about this post and I am another unhappy customer on the Smallbrook exchange. I have been here since June and the broadband speed is ridiculous!! I am really angry with BT and the fact that they don't do anything about it, as others mentioned for us no online gaming, no youtube, no nothing! Not only BT is ridiculously expensive but the poor service and customer service makes it even worse!!! I wish I had another choice but in this are (new development) there's nothing else available, plus it seems like other companies also use BT line anyway.

What else can we do? Are we entitled to get a refund or something? Is there a consumers care that we can contact?

0 Ratings
adp1983
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 142

As a fellow Smallbrook Exchange user I'm more than happy to contribute to this thread - HOWEVER, if I'm totally honest I don't really think it will make any difference whatsoever as BT don't care about there customers and are only interested in 1 thing - MONEY.

I have recently joined BT for both phone and Broadband (Connected 24/11/2010). I have been unable to use the Internet to it's full potential at all in this time. 

As previously mentioned by other members, online games, You tube, BBC iPlayer and even general surfing are a no go area.

As an example: The google homepage last night / early hours (2.20am) took 3 minutes 27 seconds to load, the BBC homepage took 8 minutes 49 seconds and the speedtest.net website took 11 minutes 12 seconds to load, when the speedtest.net site finally loaded it took 3 attempts to test my connection and the download speed I got was 0.11 Mb/s at 2.32am.

Today this site took 14 minutes to download and never before in the history of using speedtest.net have I seen 0.09 Mb/s.

Bt seriously need to pull there fingers out of where the sun don't shine and do something about this. I am paying a fair amount of money each month for something which I effectively can't use.

I tried to download a 4.9mb file at 1pm yesterday afternoon and it took over 40 minutes to complete - yet when I was at a friends house on a different exchange I it took about 1 minute).

I have contacted BT Numerous times over the past few days but as I am still within my initial 10 day line settling period they are refusing to do anything about it and one Indian guy "PROMISED" me that after the 10 days my connection speed would be 7.5mb - when I asked how he knew this he told me that it was what was showing on his system and that after the 10 days he guaranteed that I would get this speed and to wait it out.

At the end of the day BT has got everyone by the b*lls, they have the monopoly on the smallbrook exchange as no other company has a LLU their and no matter what provider you go with you HAVE to go through BT in the longrun.

I emailed BT Broadband Support 6 days ago and yet am to receive a reply (Apart from an automated one saying they got it and would reply within 48 hours).

0 Ratings
Krud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 142

"I have contacted BT Numerous times over the past few days but as I am still within my initial 10 day line settling period they are refusing to do anything about it and one Indian guy "PROMISED" me that after the 10 days my connection speed would be 7.5mb - when I asked how he knew this he told me that it was what was showing on his system and that after the 10 days he guaranteed that I would get this speed and to wait it out."

The helpdesk people in India are just following scripts and some basic tests and are - in my humble opinion - completely useless for the issues the people in our area have had to deal with.

Just getting in touch with BT is a pain, getting them to sort this bs out is even harder. I've been connected for 4 months now and the fastest speed I've had so far during peak times is 0.6 mbps.

I''m fed up with this but I'm well aware that joining another company will not help in the slightest. it's infuriating, to say the least.
0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 142

My latest twitter conversation with @BTCare got me nowhere despite pointing them to this thread (most recent tweet at the top). I am going to go back to Virgin Media and see what they can advise.

leestanleybhm typical @BTCare response, all I want to know is if you did the planned upgrade to the smallbrook exchange, simple yes/no answer
about 8 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to BTCare
BTCare @leestanleybhm Your chosen provider will need to arrange for your Broadband issue to be investigated further.
about 8 hours ago via Debatescape
leestanleybhm @BTCare still slow. see http://bit.ly/eaSuX7 btw i am a @virginmedia adsl cust but they've done all they can. it's an exchange problem
5:28 PM Dec 1st via web in reply to BTCare
BTCare @leestanleybhm Hey, how is your BT Broadband service fairing out now?
1:33 PM Dec 1st via Debatescape
leestanleybhm   @BTCare can you please tell me if upgrade/fix to smallbrook exch has/will take place today as planned? Thanks
12:27 PM Nov 30th via Twitter for BlackBerry
0 Ratings
Highlighted
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 142

Download speedachieved during the test was - 370 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

20:00 2/12/2010
0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 56 of 142

So it seems like no one got increases in speed? I guess the guy that did was probably a made up person by BT, so that it wouldn't make them look as bad... Anyways you win BT, help yourself to my direct debits and let me surf like its 2001...

If xbox live, youtube, iPlayer or anything I enjoy using wasn't invented you guys would have the best broadband service ever!

0 Ratings
Krud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 142

Heh, it's like they are trying to get people into homicidal moods...

I opened yet another fault last Wednesday with a pretty nice chap, instead of going through all the scripts, we start investigating whether it's the exchange or the server (we all know it's the **bleep** exchange but hey, at least I've got a new fault open, Yay) and he asks me to run some tests during off peak hours and call back the next day.

So yesterday I call back, I get the densest person I've ever talked to from BT India on the line who, during this horrible conversation, thinks it's highly likely it's the BAD WEATHER of the last few days which is causing my speed issues. At this point I am ready to drag her through the frikkin' phoneline. In any case, she now thinks the English technician was wrong for skipping parts of the scripts and now I'm waiting for her to call me back this evening to report whether or not my speed has improved.

Yeah, any of this sound familiar....

Third time I'm going through this, just for the "special team" to tell me it's an exchange issue in a month's time.

edit.

Just got of the phone with BT and I was told they cannot confirm or comment on any exchange changes/upgrades as no departments within BT can release information of these **bleep** things.

What they did tell me was that I can go to the exchange myself and inquire, as they "should" be obliged to provide information regarding the exchange. So after work I'll be paying them a visit and I'll post my findings in this here thread.

Wish me luck...

Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 142

Good luck Krud!

0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 142

I've just spoken to BT and it's very bad news i'm afraid. The person on the other end of the phone read out exactly the information that Wholesale had provided them, and they said that the the new MUX has been delayed until Febraury 2011; they also said that as the exchange is at full capacity and we cannot expect any speed increase until then.

When I asked why it's taking so long, they said that the management company (that's installing the new MUX) can't do it until then, and it's too expensive and complicated to be carried out at the moment!

I don't believe how incompetent BT have been in sorting out this problem - I move out in June so this almost makes it not worth the upgrade (if they ever do it)!

When I find a new apartment I will be sure to find one with cable; my days with ADSL are over!!

Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

Tom
0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 60 of 142

F*** sakes, I'm not best pleased after hearing that. I doubt they'll fix it in February either, whats the point. I'm gonna try and pull out of my contract. if you are providing such a shoddy service I'll rather not pay them. Especially when its gonna get more clogged with new subscribers which they cannot accommodate. Anyone else got any good news? Where's the mods? Oh right you guys wouldn't know any better...

0 Ratings