I have had a frankly insulting letter today from BT telling me I can get BT Infinity now, and that "BT has been investing in [your] local broadband network."
**bleep** have they.
Long time since I wrote on the boards, internet is now a stable 5mbps now, anyone else had a recovery?
and is Smallbrook receiving an infinity upgrade?
I have had a recovery too, pretty constant 5mb. I'm unsure as to whether this is coinciding with the student "move-out". I suppose we'll have to wait and see until after Christmas.
Still slow here
Download speedachieved during the test was - 589 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
I've had this problem for at least the past 2 months on Entanet. I live in an apartment right next door to the exchange and have had a conversation with one of the engineers out of my bedroom window as they were leaving. Apparently some piece of equipment is faulty.
This is probably the demultiplexer which was mentioned a while back - and which explains why this fault developed so rapidly and was not a gradual decline (under 6 months ago I had the full 8 Mbit). From what I know about networks, and from what I heard from the engineer, this causes a snowball effect when demand gets high, and the overall efficiency of the exchange plummets as the remaining functional equipment struggles to deal with the overload.
I'd recommend everyone on this thread get in touch with BT and demand compensation. Watchdog sounds like a good idea too. The sooner they notice the declining revenues from this area, the sooner they'll move to actually fix this problem rather than ignore it.
I've been told by my ISP that a new DSLAM will be getting installed at the exchange, when is anybodys guess. What worries me is that they are still buillding new apartments at Park Central - demand can only increase and we will be back in this position in 6 months.
Infinity - yeah right!
The exchange should be getting upgraded on the 17th of January. Hopefully we're back to 6.5 - 7 mbps after that time.
I want to cancel my contract for my appalling service, which is STILL slow in the evening and throughout the night - does anyone think I could do this without any charges?