cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 142

Re: Slow broadband on the Smallbrook exchange.

I'm now in the roundabout process of my ISP asking for me to be moved to a less congested VP. The simple fact is that this will not fix anything, with the Park Central development building more apartments the exchange will only become more congested.

BT need to pull their finger out and upgrade this exchange right now, how are we going to have the best broadband in Europe by 2015 when the second biggest city in the UK has broadband speeds of 320 kbps in peak time.

Stop cutting corners BT, invest in your infrastructure.
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 142

I have had a frankly insulting letter today from BT telling me I can get BT Infinity now, and that "BT has been investing in [your] local broadband network."

**bleep** have they.

0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 83 of 142

Hey guys

Long time since I wrote on the boards, internet is now a stable 5mbps now, anyone else had a recovery?

and is Smallbrook receiving an infinity upgrade?

0 Ratings
Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 142

I have had a recovery too, pretty constant 5mb. I'm unsure as to whether this is coinciding with the student "move-out". I suppose we'll have to wait and see until after Christmas.

0 Ratings
leestanley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 142

Still slow here

Download speedachieved during the test was - 589 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

0 Ratings
Syd
Beginner
Message 86 of 142

I've had this problem for at least the past 2 months on Entanet. I live in an apartment right next door to the exchange and have had a conversation with one of the engineers out of my bedroom window as they were leaving. Apparently some piece of equipment is faulty.

This is probably the demultiplexer which was mentioned a while back - and which explains why this fault developed so rapidly and was not a gradual decline (under 6 months ago I had the full 8 Mbit). From what I know about networks, and from what I heard from the engineer, this causes a snowball effect when demand gets high, and the overall efficiency of the exchange plummets as the remaining functional equipment struggles to deal with the overload.

I'd recommend everyone on this thread get in touch with BT and demand compensation. Watchdog sounds like a good idea too. The sooner they notice the declining revenues from this area, the sooner they'll move to actually fix this problem rather than ignore it.

0 Ratings
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 142

I've been told by my ISP that a new DSLAM will be getting installed at the exchange, when is anybodys guess. What worries me is that they are still buillding new apartments at Park Central - demand can only increase and we will be back in this position in 6 months.

Infinity - yeah right!

0 Ratings
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 142

The exchange should be getting upgraded on the 17th of January. Hopefully we're back to 6.5 - 7 mbps after that time.

0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 142

Lets hope so!

Tom
0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 90 of 142

I want to cancel my contract for my appalling service, which is STILL slow in the evening and throughout the night - does anyone think I could do this without any charges?

Tom
0 Ratings