cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 131 of 142

Re: Slow broadband on the Smallbrook exchange.

Well the 26th of April has came and went, the exchange hasn't been fixed. The next update from them will be 03/05/2011 at which time they'll probably say it's July or August.

BT, you're a disgrace!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 132 of 142

VP path upgrades are a constant upgrade exercise and a continuous process around the UK at exchanges
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 133 of 142

But this exchange has been grossly oversupscriped for years and years. If it is a 'rolling programme' as you say then why hasn't this exchange had it capacity increased to an acceptable level yet? Just to remind everyone,  I moved here in June, and Wholesale promised to fix this the capacity problems by October, then November and every month after that. If they have a planned programme to upgrade the excange, then why does Wholesale keep giving it's customers 'fix dates' every single month for a problem that they have no intention of fixing?!

This exchange will never be upgraded, ffs it's still on 8 meg!!!

Tom
0 Ratings
sparkatb
Beginner
Message 134 of 142

Sigh, if only Virgin Media cable was available.

Like Bonnie Tyler once said: we needa hero!

0 Ratings
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 135 of 142

John, don't give me that nonsense, this was originally reported in July LAST YEAR and as Thomas said has been on-going for the last few years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 136 of 142

Virtual pipes are upgraded monthly that is what is affecting your throughput as to an exchange upgrade that could being held up due to lack of space within the exchange for new equipment that seems most likely as you also have no llu providers there either this is due to lack of space within the building
0 Ratings
RD123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 137 of 142

Absolutely disgraceful.

Latest update from BT.

"This circuit is on a VP that has been identified as possibly having utilisation issues. This issue is currently being addressed. New equipment is being planned to alleviate this issue and the expected completion date is 02/08/2011"

Over 13 months to upgrade an exchange, that's a feckin' disgrace.

0 Ratings
irickyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 138 of 142

Interesting update on PlusNet's website states that a fix is going to be delivered on 8th July

*fingers crossed*

After thinking that my connection had been fixed, and getting compensation payment from BT, it's now deteriorated again Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
samorchard
Message 139 of 142

Just saw this and thought I'd share my "story".

I moved into the area in July 2008 and had my internet installed a few weeks later. I'd been using Cable for the past 10 years, and while I was disappointed to be moving to an inferior ADSL, it was all that was available.

As soon as it was installed, I instantly noticed slow download and browsing speeds. I ran a few tests and saw speeds similar to those people are getting in this thread - around 0.5Mb. I contacted BT and was informed by the helpful Indian fellow that my line was "stabilizing" and it would be resolved within 14 days.

14 days came and went, and my line was still awful. I could only get anything higher than 0.5Mb between 3am and 6am, and even then it was very unstable. I telephoned again, and spent several excruitating hours on the telephone, where I was constantly told that "tests were being run on my line" and that it was reporting "excellent speed" -  therefore, the problem must be software related! I tried telling the guy that I had 3 computers all with the same issue, but it did no good. He then got me to run the BT speedtest while I was on the phone, and when a speed of 400Kbs came back, he told me that this was an excellent speed! 

I tried educating him in the difference between KiloBYTES and KiloBITS, but he insisted that this was a great speed, regardless of the fact that on the page itself it said "This is below the minimum threshold" and that "The normal acceptable range is bewteen 600Kbs and 7000Kbs.

I eventually gave up trying to reason with the idiot, so I hung up and phoned again to speak to someone else. I explained the situation, and after 10 minutes of him listening, he proceeded to insist on running the exact same "tests" on my phone line, again reporting that it was reporting "excellent speed", and that my computer must have a virus. Several weeks of similar phone calls followed, spending hour after hour on the phone to morons who didn't have the first clue what they were talking about. When I was disputing the test results with one of the guys, I offered to email him a screenshot to prove it, only for him to claim that he could "See my computer screen".  I gave up and posted on a long rant on the BT forums about their substandard support.

A few days later I was contacted by a moderator from the BT forums who offered his support in diagnosing my problem. He was a friendly guy who seemed to know what he was talking about, and I appreciated the massively increase in knowledge the guy had. He quickly diagnosed the issue has a "problem with the circuit at the exchange", and I'd be moved to a new one. Unfortunately, this meant that I'd lose internet for two days, but it was worth it.

The two days passed by and my internet returned - at exactly the same speed as it was previously. Apparently, the fault WAS fixed, but this means that I must have ANOTHER fault which is also causing problems. I was told that a problem had been identified at the exchange, and that repairs were due to be carried out in 2 weeks - early December.

Again, the date came and went, and there were no improvements whatsoever. The same process repeated itself at least 4 times - I was told that a new fault had been found and repairs were scheduled, that the repairs had been postponed, they had been carried out successfully but it revealed more errors, and so forth. It seemed to be a never ending loop of excuses and bull**bleep**.

By March I was ready to explode from infuriation - After yet another "repair" yielded absolutely no improvement in results, I was told that it MUST be a problem with my line, despite being constantly told that my telephone line was "excellent". A repair man was scheduled to visit, so I booked the day off work and waited for him to arrive. I was told I'd receive a phone call when he was in the area, so I sat by my phone all morning.... and all afternoon, until 6pm passed by, and there was no sign of him. I phoned a number I'd been given to ask what had happened, and apprently, the repair man had phoned in sick. When I asked why I hadn't been informed, I was told that someone had tried to call me but couldn't get through - despite the line being free the entire day. Another visit was scheduled for a week later, so I had to book ANOTHER day off work to sit in.

This time, he arrived pretty early. Seemed like a nice enough guy - told me that he's constantly getting customers from the area with the exact same problem as me, and it's got nothing to do with the line, but rather to do with the exchange being massively oversubscribed. He said there was nothing he could do, but he could make a phonecall and try and get me transfered to a different part of the exchange which "in his experience, fixed the problem 80% of the time".

He made his call and told me to give it 48 hours and I should see a big jump in speed. It barely took 2 hours - after losing connectivity for a few minutes, my speed shot up to around 6Mb. I was delighted! By now it was April, and I'd experienced absolutely dreadful internet speed for almost 10 months. It was nice to be back! I emailed my contact at BT thanking him for his help, and told him that my speed is great now, and that I hoped it lasted!

It didn't. Three weeks later I was back to square one, as my speed slowly got worse and worse, day by day, until it was under 0.5Mb again. I managed to find an email address of the BT Chairman and wrote a lengthy email explaining what had happened over the past 10 months, and requesting that I be released from my contract with no penalty charge - I had given them 10 months to provide the service I'd paid for, and they had not fulfilled their obligations.

A few days later I received a response from his secretary giving me the number of a "high-priority" technical support team. She also phoned me every few days to keep me updated with progress and to ask how things were going. I'll cut it short, but after speaking with the support team, the problem was resolved within a few weeks. I'd imagine I've been put on a "special" part of the exchange which is reserved for people who actually want to browse the net at a reasonable speed.

That was around a year ago, and since then, my speed hasn't been below 7Mb. I'm now on a month-to-month contract with BT, and despite them phoning up every few weeks to tie me down for another 18 months, I'm happy to just keep going on the way I am - this way, as soon as it dies again, I can jump ship to another ISP.

I hope you guys all get your problems fixed, but to be honest, I don't think the exchange will ever be capable of providing everyone with a decent speed.

0 Ratings
irickyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 140 of 142

Interesting: PlusNet are saying there are no known problems with Smallbrook exchange...

Anybody notice that things are better?

What's the general opinion?

I'm only getting 2.5Mb download speed according to:

My Broadband Speed Test

*sulk* I want more!!

0 Ratings