cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 142

Re: Slow broadband on the Smallbrook exchange.

Well, BT refuse to refund anything that I have paid until the problem is resolved. However they have given me the date of when the new multiplexer will be installed. 30/11/2010. Compensation probably is due, but it is likely that they'll offer you a free month of internet or something along those lines.

0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 22 of 142

I'm so sick of slow internet now, no gaming/videos or general entertainment! I've been told the same thing about compensation. For some reason I still don't think the MUX upgrade will fix it, I think we'll get an improvement but overall we'll still be screwed by BT's shoddy service in the long run, as more people will join the exchange!

By the way, has anyone noticed that the surrounding exchanges have cable and some LLU services, yet our exchange is not important enough to have these services?!

0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 142

I have had ridiculously slow speeds on the Smallbrook exchange since I moved to the area in June. I have had 5 engineers, at the behest of BT, visiting my flat and they all agreed that there is a capacity problem at the exchange. Since then I have been on the phone to BT almost every week for over 4 months and they always promise me it will be fixed the next time I phone! It hasn't obviously, so they have promised me compensation for however many months the line has been 'broken' (currently 5 months), but 'only when the issue is resolved'. However, on the phone today, I demanded compensation now as the issue has been going on for 5 months, so they gave me 2 months off my bill, with a promise for the remaining compensation when it's fixed.

Everyone who's having similar problems at Smallbrook should contact BT, ask to speak to the 'priority care team' or 'complaints manager' and demand the compensation from them for however many months you've had the problem for. They will have to give it to you if they've promised it to me. The only way I could reach these people however is to make a formal complaint. 

Maybe BT will decide do something about it if all their customers demand compensation!

I have also been told the new MUX will be installed at the end of the month, but i'm not very optimistic as they've told me that they've upgraded the capacity twice which hasn't made any difference whatsoever. There are also several Multiplexers in a telephone exchange (they're only replacing one) so I doubt it will solve everyones problems. The real problem is capacity, and I was told by an engineer that it's been like this for years (since they built all the new apartments in the area)!

Is there anyone from BT that can comment on this and get it sorted for us all once and for all?

Tom
0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 142

I agree; for the 'Second City' it's ridiculous! i also live in a street with a Virgin Media cabinet around the corner, but they can't connect me to it... insane!
Tom
0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 25 of 142

Whoa, didn't think it happened to as many people as I thought. I spoke to my concierge who also commented on the poor internet around the area. I've demanded compensation, which as they mentioned to you would be paid out when the problem is resolved. Is there anyway where we can all voice our concerns so that the message will resolve the problem altogether and not just temporarily as more people will inevitably join the exchange.

If MUXs have been replaced before, how long did it fix the internet for before everything went mega slow? It's a massive kick in the teeth that I can't just leave them for Virgin media or something!

0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 142

They havn't replaced any yet. But apparently BT wholesale have raised the capacity of the fibre optic cables (that provide the exchange with it's capacity) twice since i've had the problem, but this hasn't changed anything...

If the MUX they are replacing will solve the problem then you will have to keep your fingers crossed that it's the one you are connected to; from the looks of it they have 6 or 7 in this particular exchange...

The fact that Smallbrook hasn't been upgraded to ASDL2+ yet (('up to' 24mps) most exchanges got this upgrade several years ago) makes me wonder if they will ever do anything!

Here is my most recent speedtest result:

This Test comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed

275 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 275 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Often in the evening, around midnight, I get around 25Kbps (Half the speed of dialup) until I reset the router. Then I get around 150 kbps!

The only thing I could suggest is that someone sends an email to BT with a list of all the customers affected - i'm sure there's quite a long list!!

Tom
0 Ratings
Thierry121
Contributor
Message 27 of 142

Surely they'll replace more than one MUX if it's causing them problems e.g. lots of angry phone calls of me and compensation!

I also get similar speeds to you, it really puts me off going on the net for anything entertaining. My thoughts exactly on the ADSL2+, but I think it's such a central spot that it really couldn't be that much of a problem upgrading to cable, since there's a BT van somewhere on my street each day. Does anyone actually receive good speeds from Smallbrook while the rest of us don't? I wish they'd replace it quicker as I'm missing out on valuable Black Ops multiplayer time...

0 Ratings
squarewings
Message 28 of 142

Hi there, 

I'm a Virgin Media customer whose bandwidth (or lack thereof!) also comes from the Smallbrook exchange, we have exactly the same speeds and troubles as all the other posts here and have had to deal with countless calls to customer care. 

I've just managed to ascertain from Virgin's helpline that some work was 'apparently' carried out today on replacing a MUX unit and that they've been asked to measure speeds again and perform various diagnostics on there end again tomorrow. 

I'm dubious that this will resolve anything at all (and at whether this is even true!) but maybe we could be waking up to some better speeds tomorrow? 

Here's hoping!

0 Ratings
Matabrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 142

Hi guys.

It's good this thread is really gaining attention! Maybe BT will get their act together.

I have emailed the forum moderators but they have only responded with "it would be best for me to take a step back until the investigations are complete".

I also copied in the Executive Level Complaints Manager. Originally I thought that the email address (which I found) was dead. However, yesterday (about a week after I first sent my email) I received a call from the Executive Level bod who wasn't from BT India and sounded quite authoritative. He informed me that he would be investigating the issue from now on, and he would call me back once his personal investigations were complete.

So, if you want to have a rant. Let's get it fixed and let the people who matter know what is going on!

elc(at)BT.com

Ha, just spellchecked this and it suggested that I replace BT with bottom, quite apt.

Good luck guys! Let's keep fighting.

Matt

0 Ratings
thomasgrocott
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 142

I received a response from the forum moderators;

😞

Tom
0 Ratings