Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Slow broadband since line fault fixed

Go to solution

Good Afternoon,

A few weeks ago my Broadband dropped out completely which was due to a line fault which has since been repaired. Prior to the line fault I had a connection / download speed close to 1.8Mbps.

Since the fault has been 'repaired' I have struggled to keep a stable connection, the Broadband drops out randomly and is also much slower (almost unbearably slow). I have done all the home help checks etc. and having read many posts on this forum I have concluded that part of the problem may be my Noise margins.

I have not reset my router for several days and have had a connection for over three days now.

Here are the stats from my router and results of the BT Speed test:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 03:24:38
Downstream:576 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.2 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.1 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):16.3 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):420072 / 382
CRC Events (Down/Up):676 / 85
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1566 / 45
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):592 / 238

Speed test results:

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.50

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.32

Ping Latency (ms): 52.75

To reiterate - nothing in my setup has changed and I haven't done anything that could have caused the problems. The problems have been since the line fault (which I reported as a fault and have had closed out) was repaired.

I will contact the mods for help and see if they can do anything.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Slow broadband since line fault fixed

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

your noise margin is only slightly above normal the normal default is 6dB as you have had a line fault you now need to leave the connection to settle again

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

John,

Thanks, the line fault was closed out some weeks ago and the problems have been ongoing for a while since. My broadband connection drops out every now and then by itself and everytime it drops out my speed crashes back to around 0.3 - 0.5 Mbps. Since the repaired fault the best speed I have had has been 0.9Mbps around half of what I had when my broadband was first connected back in August (around 1.7 - 1.8 Mbps)

I work from home and the slow connection is startring to cause problems for me.

Dan.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Dan, What does the BT speedtester give you for an IP profile at the moment? I'm thinking your problems are not over yet ....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Roger, Results are in as below:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed 0.37 Mbps

0.5 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.37 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.

Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :0.58 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

I can't pretend to understand all the technical stuff but this doesn't sound good or right..... My neighbours are getting much higher speeds. I know that the line into the house is good as the guy living next door to me used to live here (this house) and had problems in the past with BT. They were eventually resolved by having a new copper wire run from the street into the house. He used to get 2Mbps here. Next door he is getting 1.5 - 2 Mbps with another provider.

Can I also add that my Upload Speeds used to be in the region of 0.7 Mbps

Dan.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
Are you connected to the test socket as shown in the link i posted I am also curious about your comment about getting a 0.7 Mbps upload speed as on ADSLMAX which you are on the maximum possible upload is 448k
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Dan .... try the quiet line test 17070 option 2 .

If your line has line noise, crackle or hum, that will cause it to drop the connection.

It may be that the fault was not repaired properly .... try it a couple of times tonight and if it is there

you may need to re-raise the fault. If it is quiet, and I see you've had 3 days connection already from the runtimes ...

tomorrow morning (not tonight) if it hasnt increased reset the router just once, and wait for the line profile to come up.

If after 72 hours it has still not come up, and your router hasn't dropped, post back in and we'll get the IP profile reset.

But I think you may find you still have a line issue.

0 Ratings
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Ok, couple of things,

Roger, did the quiet line test - no problems.

John,

I went to check the wiring and found (as I suspected) that both the socket where I plug the router in and the phone extension are hard wired into the faceplate front of the socket that plugs into the test socket - if that makes sense. It assume it shouldn't make any difference though. All my problems have been since the line fault that BT traced and fixed, not problems with my internal wiring. As mentioned previously, my connection and speeds have been fine until the outside fault.

So in checking this, I disconnected my router 😞

It has reconnected and I will post the stats and test results below. What is going on? My connection rate has leapt up to 1.18Mbps but download rate is still poor.

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:01:17
Downstream:1.156 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.7 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.4 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):28 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):600 / 239

Speed tester results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.37
Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional
Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :1.18 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),
0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Your IP profile, which is set at the BRAS, has yet to come up .... it normally takes 72 hours, or there abouts.

From the time the router re-negotiated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

you now need to leave the connection alone for the next 3/5 days and your IP Profile will rise automatically this will improve your download speed 

are you now connected to the test socket to get those stats if you are then you have internal wiring problems 

0 Ratings