Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Slow broadband since line fault fixed

Go to solution

John,

The wiring is as it has always been, I can't really change anything due to the limitations of living in a rented house.

When the faceplate comes off, there is no wiring coming from behind the socket into the faceplate - i.e. the faceplate is completely disconnected. What seems to be the arrangement is that the router and phone extension connect to the faceplate which then connects to the BT network through the test socket. So if I take off the faceplate I disconnect my phone and the router. I would have to completely rewire to be able to run the router directly to the test socket. So it seems that my phone and router permanently use the test socket. Sound right? With the layout of the house and where I have my PC and the router the only way I could solely connect to the test socket would be to buy a 15m cable for this purpose only.

Dan.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

testsocket2.jpgthe test socket is a direct link to the exchange as it eliminates the internal wiring it would be best to connect the phone and router directly to the test socket and use a long ethernet cable to your PC as there is something causing a large drop in speed when connecting to the extension

0 Ratings
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Good evening,

Chris has been in touch from BT Customer care and has also advised me to connect directly to the test socket.

It was a hassle but I have the router plugged directly into the Test Socket with a filter via approx 10m ADSL (Modem) Cable. Not a network cable. There is no other way for me to sort this out without major grief - network cabling is pre-run through the upstairs and I have more than 1 PC connected....

There is now nothing connected to my phone line other than the router - internal phone extensions etc are disconnected. My stats as of now are:

ADSL Line Status Connection Information Line state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 00:09:20

Downstream: 2.344 Mbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.3 dB / 20.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 60.8 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 17.7 dBm / 12.3 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 132 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 676 / 273

Speed Tester is gining the following:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.37 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.

Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :2.4 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

Does this shed any light?

I will reiterate that our recent problems have been since the line fault. If the internal wiring is also at fault then obviously I will have to sort that out to maximise our broadband performance.

Thanks again, Dan.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution
you now have a 2.3mb connection given 3/5 days stable connection and your IP profile will increase giving you an increased download speed so it certainly would look as if you have an internal wiring issue that needs resolving this link may help you http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
0 Ratings
danthecavingman
Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Hello,

I'm glad to say that my connection is now better than it ever has been - need to look at my internal wiring in the house. Probably going to rip everything out and run my own so I know it's my fault if there are any more problems.

Just goes to prove that running direct from the test socket can highlight serious problems.

Thanks guys,

Dan.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution
Glad your connection has improved if you need further help please post back
0 Ratings