Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJStannard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Slow broadband speed after BT replaced cable to the house to fix a problem

Hi,

Until recently I always had a good stable broadband connection. However a couple of weeks ago it started dropping out often. This turned out to be because of a very noisy line, I rarely use the phone and when I went to check it I could hear a lot of noise on the line. I went through BT and an engineer came round this Monday and discovered the cable from outside my house had pretty much corroded away - it had likely been there 40 years! So the cable was replaced and the noise on the phone line went away (Engineer fixed it on the 11th June in the afternoon)

However during the time the line was bad my broadband (clearly in an attempt to cope with the noise) gained much higher noise margins and gradually got slower and slower, this I can understand.

The problem is now the line is repaired its still stuck at this lower speed which is really rather slow. I have read that eventually the IP profile will reset itself, but I work from home some of the time and this current speed is a real problem for me. Is there anything I can get done to get it back up to speed?

Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 06:28:53
Downstream:286.3 Kbps
Upstream:440 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):32.3 dB / 29.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):9.5 dB / 4.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):9.6 dBm / 12.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 54
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Slow broadband speed after BT replaced cable to the house to fix a problem

You must leave your home hub turned on and connected to your phone line for at least five days.

During that time, do not reset or disconnect it.

If your download speed has not increased after that time, then return to this thread for assistance.

note: if you disconnect the ADSL input to the home hub for about 10 seconds, after the five days is up, you should find that it will reconnect at a higher speed.

0 Ratings
CJStannard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Ah thats a shame, no watching anyting from BT vision for me this weekend! Lets hope work don't mind too much that my connection is so slow today .Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
CJStannard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Keith, is this really the only Solution? My conneciton made it to a bit over 3 days, then for some reason its reset again 😞

This time the upload speed has gone up some but download is unacceptable. If I have to wait another 5 days then its going to end up about 2 weeks I have had very slow broadband from BT (and who knows if it will stay up 5 days this time...), yet I boubt they will be refunding me my money for the BT vision service I can't use due to the speed issues with the BT connection. Seriously having to wait 5 days after they fix a problem is ridiculous, especially when it might reset at any point!

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:57:23
Downstream:286.3 Kbps
Upstream:888.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):31.4 dB / 13.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):9.7 dB / 4.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):10.7 dBm / 10.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):4 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

have you now got the 3+ days connection time?  if so can you post new stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Did the home hub do a complete restart when this happened?

If it did, then it is faulty.

0 Ratings
CJStannard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I had just over 3 days, it got to it just after midnight, I know as I sas it at 3 days 1 hr before I went to bed, but when I checked just now it had reset a couple of hours ago and th stats are as in my previous post 😞

I'm not sure if the HH3 did a complete restart or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

It looks like you are stuck in a banded profile - low speed/high noise margin and I would just contact the mods as it will take 3 days for mods to respond 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

mods needed now to get the banding removed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

that was what I though hence my post

0 Ratings