cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasguest
Message 1 of 12

Slow broadband speed, problems getting a response from BT

The broadband download speed I'm actually getting on my computer is only 125Kbs; I usually get close to the 8Mbs the line supports.

After much phoning I have managed to actually log the fault. The status shows a picture and indicates the problem is at the BT Retail Servers, and says "Once we know more we will contact you using your contact details above and once we have fixed your problem you will see an update on this page. Thanks for your patience."

This isn't much help since I don't know how much longer I will have to wait. Can anyone explain what's going on here, and how I can hurry the fix up? I'm actually paying for unlimited broadband and was promised the 8Mbs the line could support.

I'm not feeling very patient about this! Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow broadband speed, problems getting a response from BT

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

thomasguest
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the response. The line sounds quiet when I call 17070, option 2. I have connected to the master socket. ADSL stats look like this.

adsl-stats.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

please post the diagnostic BT speedtest when you can please
0 Ratings
thomasguest
Message 5 of 12

Screen shot 2012-09-13 at 10.01.36.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

hi you need to maintain 3/5 days stable connection and your IP Profile will rise automatically this has been caused by a number of hub disconnections once you maintain a stable connection with NO restarts this will resolve your problem there is no short cut just a matter of waiting
0 Ratings
thomasguest
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for your answer.

3-5 days does not seem at all reasonable. Surely there's a way to restore service more quickly? 125kbs is painful - even if I could just get to 1Mbs (before full 8Mbs is restored) I'd be a lot happier.

I am paying for a service I am not close to getting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I am afraid there is no short cut the system is automatic and requires that time scale to see line stability if it reset any quicker then all that will happen is the profile would drop again almost instantly the only cure is a stable connection your speed will reset to its correct level in one move 

0 Ratings
thomasguest
Message 9 of 12

OK. I'm guessing the IP profile got reduced due to a faulty phone socket. This was fixed on Tuesday morning by a BT engineer. I would have thought the line could be profiled more quickly in this circumstance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

that will have been the cause but it will not speed up the profile system the only option is waiting