cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Slow broadband speed

Hi to any that can offer me some help and advice.

I've been on BT Broadband Option 1 for a couple of years, and normally receive a speed of about 5 Mb. In the last week or so my broadband speed has dropped to 0.3 Mb (at best).

Yesterday I rang BT's technical helpline, and spoke to a chap who told me he had reset my IP profile, and that I should see my broadband speed improve within the next hour and a half. A day later and I've still seen no improvement. I've tried restarting my hub since this phone call, but with no change.

Some stats I believe would be helpful:

BT Speedtester

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.92Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

ADSL Line Status

Line State Connected

Connection time 1 days, 05:46:44

Downstream 287 Kbps

Upstream 1,220 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 22.4 dB / 5.3 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.5 dB / 12.8 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 9.5 dBm / 1.8 dBm

I've also tried the quiet line test, which sounds fine. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do to resolve this? The service I'm currently receiving is so sluggish it's almost unusable!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow broadband speed

a profile reset will not help as your profile is on new system and changes immediately your connection speed changes.  have you been having problems with connection dropping or have you been resetting the router to try and improve your connection speed.

have you had an email from BT advising that your exchange has been upgraded and you are now on 21CN adsl2+ up to 20mb?

are you connected to the test socket or master socket?

at first I thought banded profile but it could well be a conenction the test socket may sort it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Then someone can help you more 
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the swift replies. I've never had any problems with connection dropping, but I do only turn on my home hub as and when I need it in order to conserve electricity. I've left it on for the last few days though as I read this wasn't a good idea?

I believe I did have an email mentioning an upgrade to 20Mb recently, but I can't double check as I had a clear out of my inbox and deleted it. Is there any other way I could find this out?

I'm connected to an extension socket, because it isn't at all practical to connect to my master / test socket - it's in the garage! If you think it could help, I'll move my home hub and computer down there and run some speed tests again tomorrow.

john46 - As I've said, I tried the quiet line test and it was fine. I've also already posted the full results from BT Speedtest and my ADSL stats. Please let me know if there's any additional information that would be of help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

before you move to the test socket can you check for the bellwire on terminal 3 in all the sockets and if there can you remove it and then see if that improves your stats.

you have been upgraded so your memory of the email is fine

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

when you post back could you also post all the errors on your hubstats including the hidden ones please
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Sorry, I'm no electrician and I'm not at all confident in messing with the wiring. I'll have to wait and try the test socket.

Are these the hubstat errors you were after?

Line State Connected

Connection time 1 days, 07:40:44

Downstream 287 Kbps

Upstream 1,220 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 23.2 dB / 5.4 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.5 dB / 12.8 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 11.0 dBm / 1.8 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 324 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

there is no problem removing the bellwire and perfectly legal  this explains it 

bellwire removal

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Your noise margin is high the normal default is 6 db yours is 23.2db if you maintain3 days stable connection we can then advise you about contacting the forum mods to get it reset if it has not reduced by then while connected to the test socket
0 Ratings