cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ianld1
Message 1 of 38

Slow broadband speeds in E14 / Poplar / Isle of Dogs

I pay for BT Option 3 Up to 20mps. I'm lucky if I get 0.5 during the day. (Even in the middle of the night it is never above 2mps.) It used to be slighly better, but is getting worse. I've done some research and I know the Poplar Exchange is overloaded and is also quite a distance from the Isle of Dogs. Plus more people have moved into the area with the completion of several new housing developments. I've stuck with BT because there is apparently an upgrade pending but BT havent written to their customers on the IOD to say when they can expect better speeds. How much longer do I put up with this? This article in a local newspaper was cause for optimism.. http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/super_fast_broadband_to_be_enabled_on_isle_of_dogs_by_end_of_2010_... BUT WHY ARENT BT CONTACTING THEIR CUSTOMERS? BT MODERATOR - WHAT IS GOING ON INE14, AND ARE THE SPEEDS I AM GETTING "TO BE EXPECTED"??
Tags (5)
0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
stevenazari
Contributor
Message 2 of 38

Re: Slow broadband speeds in E14 / Poplar / Isle of Dogs

I just checked the exchange isn't getting upgraded now until march.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 38

According to SamKnows, the FTTC is still on schedule for 31st of December....

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNPOP

I have noticed that the BT line checker now tells me that the 31st of March is the date for Infinity. I don't mind waiting, but I hate being told one date only to see it change a couple of days before it arrives!!

I live in hope!

0 Ratings
Raimundo
Beginner
Message 4 of 38

Shame on you BT!!!!  We have been waiting too long now in the Isle of Dogs. You must have a good explanation for these 10 years of delay!!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Raimundo
Beginner
Message 5 of 38

If you go to BT website now you will see that Isle of Dogs is BT Infinity is scheduled for 09/02/2011. Is it possible?
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 38

I suppose it's possible but is it probable? Only BT know........perhaps!!

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
adb968008
Message 7 of 38

Spoke to someone laying cable on west ferry road today.. he said only local authority, business residences and existing homes are getting FTTC. If you live in one of the flats built in the last 10-15 years it's not happening. (The fact my phone number shows it as not available (and not planned) and asking a around several others seems to back this up.
sad day, dashed hopes.
0 Ratings
robcuk
Beginner
Message 8 of 38

I'm in E14 and only about 600mtrs from the Exchange.

Until last month I was regularly getting less than 1Mb connection speed which died every night with contention 'strangulation'. Last month I got an email telling me I'd lose my connection for a day whilst they did some repair to my line,the result for a day without t'internet? I now get 15Mb down & .9 Mb up 24/7 🙂

Oh yes, and the engineer told me that the new FTTC cabinets are all now in place for the 'first round' of Infinity, one this is up and running it will be 'trickled out' to the rest of the area. The cabinets are almost all situated on Westferry & Manchester Road and there are some on East India & Commercial Road/Narrow St.

Most of the work is happening inside the exchange now but he was hopeful for an April 1st go-live!

Rob

0 Ratings
Paulos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

I'd say to anyone on the Isle of Dogs who still can't get Infinity to email the Docklands 24 newspaper. They were quite good at getting answers from BT as to what was happening. Although the rollout of Infinity was due before the end of 2010 the snowy weather apparently held up the work.

It's quite ironic that the Isle of Dogs has one of the worst connection speeds in London when Telehouse, the UK's internet hub, is located at the top of the island and of course all the banks in Canary Wharf don't exactly use dial-up.

Poplar exchange
0 Ratings
snellm
Beginner
Message 10 of 38

For me, the bt.com/infinity website initially quoted 31 December, then 31 March, and now it's 30 June. Anyone from BT have any concrete information on how much longer I'm going to have to survive on a 1MB connection?

0 Ratings