cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stutch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 38

Re: Slow broadband speeds in E14 / Poplar / Isle of Dogs

Any update on the broadband situation in E14? Particularly Baltimore Wharf apartments?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 38

0 Ratings
Stutch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 38

Thanks john46. Your link suggests it is available at my area as exchange has been upgraded but no providers seem to be offering it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 38

It may be available at you exchange but not ever street cabinet is or can be activated this may explain more to you
Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.

Our availability checker at www.bt.com/infinity has the latest detail about what speed your line can provide.
ade1980
Beginner
Message 15 of 38

I think the common frustration here isn't necessarily the absence of BT Infinity which, though it would be amazing and certainly seems to be, going by the huge promotional campaign (i've had flyers through my door, seen billboards and cinema adverts...) - so much as just a decent broadband speed!!

When i tell my friends who live out in the sticks that i'm ticking along at sometimes no better than dial-up speed, they cannot believe that this would be the case when i live literally next door to the Financial Centre of the planet!!

What would be nice, decent and just a half-reflection of BT's supposed "Straight Forward" values, would be some sort of update as to when we can expect something faster than the 0.1kB/sec or 0.2kB/sec - which continues to be the case now. 

But each time i speak to BT, they tell me/us/everyone "it's not us, it's open-reach, and unfortunately there's no update".

Which really is NOT good enough. For a company that claims it's winning back customers, it's got absolutely appalling customer service. Does anyone know an alternative to standard broadband? Is Fixed-Wireless or Satellite available in Docklands at a half reasonable price?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 38

Hi as has been previously posted infinity is not always rolled out to all street cabinets so some areas of every exhange in the uk may not be connected to infinity also some are done on later phases just a matter of waiting as to your other comments all i can suggest is try a google search to see whic may suit you best
0 Ratings
ade1980
Beginner
Message 17 of 38

You've referred me to your earlier posts about BT Infinity, but as i've explained, it's NOT about BT Infinity, so much as just getting something that could credibly be described as Broadband. I am currently ticking along at SUCH a slow rate. I have to wait 45 minutes to be able to watch 12 minutes of YouTube. 

If i use the http://speedtest.net/ site, it (no joke) registers as 0.56Mbps down and 0.36Mbps upload speed. 

When we're getting quoted 5.0Mbps on ordering... and one would expect it to dip to 2 or 3 in busy times i guess... it's simply not good enough to have that low rate, with no communication as to what the issue is and when we can expect it to be resolved. It's the not knowing that really annoys people and smacks of corporate arrogance on BT's part, as if to say "well, seriously what are you going to do? where else can you go?" - it's like the First Great Western of telecoms. 

I called BT this week (thurs) and we did a check over the phone, they agreed it shouldn't ever be this slow, couldn't give any update on work going on in the area, committed to escalating it to 2nd-line support and a callback today at 11am. It's not nearly 1pm and no sign of the call. This on top of 6 weeks battling to get the line set-up in the first place, which was nothing short of a God-awful saga, climaxing in me threatening to take the story to the media - it was only then it was taken seriously and resolved. I actually don't know ONE person that's had a positive experience with BT and their internet. Why can they not get this right?

0 Ratings
pineapplefritzer
Contributor
Message 18 of 38

The reason many people complain about there broadband speed, is because they think the speed is slow and start complaining, because they don't know on things like distance from the exchange, and they should read the 'Up to' speeds things are marketed as.  Just because BT is the biggest company doesn't mean its at fault all the time.  A lot of things can be caused by Home users putting things in front of their router and then blaming BT for slow speed over WiFi when its their fault that they put something in front of the router.

If your willing to post your ADSL Stats from your Hub we may be able to help.  To be honest you won't get out of contract with BT without a heafty penalty fee if you don't let them try and fix the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 38

Hi As suggested try the following and post back the results  

Then someone here will offer you some help 

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
ade1980
Beginner
Message 20 of 38

Hey - thanks for your help on this, much appreciated. 

Results using that method are as follows:

What should i do now? 😞

Line state - connected

Connection time 1 days, 15:58:25

Downstream 1.844 Mbps

Upstream 448Kbps

ADSL 0/38

TYPE PPPoA

Modulation - G.992.1 Annex A

Latency Type - Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):9.9 dB / 20.0 dBLine attenuation (Down/Up):50.2 dB / 31.5 dBOutput power (Down/Up):17.0 dBm / 12.5 dBmFEC Events (Down/Up):1404762 / 175CRC Events (Down/Up):12007 / 127Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0HEC Events (Down/Up):36565 / 179Error Seconds (Local/Remote):55645 / 6611

0 Ratings